Author Topic: Mrs. Eileen Coutts M.B.E.  (Read 1616 times)

Offline cockney gel

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Mrs. Eileen Coutts M.B.E.
« on: 31 October, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »
http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/cockney_farewell_for_upton_park_stalwart_1_4290023

Hello All,
 Just wanted to share the sad news, if you haven't seen it, about Mrs. Eileen Coutts. We had the pleasure of knowing her for over twenty years, she was such an example to all for her many strengths. The sterling service she gave to her Sea Cadet Unit [West Ham Thunderers] in Plaistow, only retiring last december, and also her local British Legion. Including collection boxes in her local pie 'n' mash, and shoe menders shops etc, if there was a way she could get a penny for them from anyone, she was there. She was also a long time Poppy seller. All this she did as well as having brought up her family single handedly, and working, without complaining. So much strength, hard work and courage. We have many happy, funny memories of a woman from a Special Generation, and are glad that we knew her.   R.I.P. Mrs. Coutts M.B.E.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
Re: Mrs. Eileen Coutts M.B.E.
« Reply #1 on: 31 October, 2015, 11:52:33 PM »
I don't know about the lady, but I do remember my brother being it that cadet group at Whitehall Place School, Forest Street, Forest Gate, in the post-war years.  The school wasn't in Dames Road, as stated in the link, although, the cadets might have been using some premises in Dames Road at some time or other? But the school never was! Because I lived opposite it.
« Last Edit: 01 November, 2015, 12:00:03 AM by nellanhoj »

Offline cockney gel

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2015, 09:49:05 PM »
Hello nellanhoj,
 West Ham S.C. were at Whitehall, until 1973 when they moved to Davis street in Plaistow. Mrs. Coutts had been involved with them for over 40 years, probably from when they moved.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2015, 10:43:33 PM »
Thanks cockney gel.
My observations were directed at this link below quoting  that it was in Serbet Road, which wasn't only the wrong road, as I said, but it was also spelt wrongly! It should have read Sebert Road

"West Ham was formed on 4th May 1942. Number 357.Thunderer was one of three units formed in the borough of West Ham. The former Commander, Lieutenant Commander Paxton Pye was later promoted to District Officer, Zone 4, London Area.

The Unit headquarters was originally in Whitehall School, Serbet Road, Forest Gate E7. We then moved to Greengate Youth Centre in Plaistow in 1973, originally occupying the whole building and then shared with Newham Football Club. We are now located at SS Robin, but still tied to Greengate Youth Centre.

TS Thunderer took her name from the last iron clad ship to be built in the Blackwall Docks - HMS Thunderer."
« Last Edit: 03 November, 2015, 12:22:10 PM by nellanhoj »