Author Topic: Margaret Tyzack gets CBE  (Read 8018 times)

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
Margaret Tyzack gets CBE
« on: 31 December, 2009, 03:45:15 PM »
In todays New Year Honours List, Margaret Tyzack OBE, was awarded a CBE for services to Drama. The daughter of Bill Tyzack, securuty Manager at Lyle’s factory, Plaistow Wharf, she was born in 1930 and grew up in Howards Road, Plaistow. She was educated at St Angela’s Ursuline Convent, Forest Gate. She is an award winning RADA trained actress who joined the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1962. Her film, stage and television career spans over well over 50 years.  The 78 year old actress who got an OBE in 1970, has appeared in: The Forsyte Saga, The First Churchill’s, I Claudius: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange with recent roles in Midsomer Murders, Heartbeat, Dalziel & Pascoe and Doc Martin.

Also awarded a CBE was Ms Vanessa Wiseman, lately Headteacher at Langdon School and Sports College, Newham, London. For services to Education.

A MBE was awarded to Mrs Jane Johnson, Headteacher, St. Stephen's Primary School, Newham, London. For services to Education.

Kathy
« Last Edit: 01 January, 2010, 09:43:01 AM by Kathy Taylor »

MBrennan

Re: Margaret Tyzack gets CBE
« Reply #1 on: 17 December, 2012, 11:31:32 PM »
I came across Margaret's obituary and thought I had better check if there was already a thread.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/jun/27/margaret-tyzack-obituary

Offline Dave S

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
I work with a chap called Les Tyzack.
He comes from around the East End.
Wonder if he's related.

MBrennan

« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »
Quite possible Dave. It isn't exactly a common name  :). Maybe Parry Tyzack are connected too?

Mark

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »
The photo below is from the Newham Story Section and shows Zacheriah John Charles Tyzack in his blacksmiths shop on the corner of Talbot Road and Barking Road, East Ham.

He lived at 112 Market Street East Ham. I wonder if he was related to Margaret.

Linda

MBrennan

« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »
Great old photo Linda :)

I must go back and have a look. I have looked at photos on the main site but must have missed loads  ???

Mark

PS - I just looked at ~Googlemaps and assume that end of Talbot Road is now Canberra Road?
« Last Edit: 20 December, 2012, 11:52:30 PM by MBrennan »

Offline jplant1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
Linda what was the date of that brilliant photo?

MBrennan

« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »
It just says 'early 1900s' - Iwas quite surprised as I googled the name and there were quite a few dating back to the 1700s. I assumed it was German or something, but apparently it is an old-English surname. http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Tyzack

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »
Thanks Mark

I had meant to add the date but forgot. It's a great photo isn't it.

I just noticed your p.s. about Canberra Road. I wonder if it's a new road as I can't remember it  from when I lived in East Ham. I just googled it and noticed it's near Hall Road which is the other side of the Barking Road.

Linda

MBrennan

« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
Hi Linda,

It looks as if all the flats were built in the 50s/60s and it is now a dead-end. Im sure a some time it would have been part of Talbot Road. I don't know if anyone knows of a pre-1950s map of the area?  ???

Mark

http://goo.gl/maps/oxmEa

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 December, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »
Hello Linda,
Read your post re Canberra Road and after clicking on could not believe what I was reading & seeing

So close to where I worked Ranelagh Road, and could nor for the life of me fit in your lovely area.

As Mark stated in a follow up post it has been built since my days when I was there working1947/1950at
Farr's Sheet Metal Works, I can only think the Factory has gone as well.

Was this area badly bombed or is it just improvement work ???
It certainly from memory was not a bad area and many people who worked at Farr's lived in those roads.

Louise

Offline CundyRoad

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »
Margaret had a sister named Marion, who was one of my English teachers at Lister Technical.

MBrennan

« Reply #12 on: 03 September, 2014, 08:44:19 PM »
seeing Dave's earlier post, Les posts on the East Ham Facebook page. Someone asked him if he was related and he said Margaret was his cousin.

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 August, 2015, 08:03:01 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Reading about Margaret Tyzack, my wife and her late sister, were  cousins to Margaret, and my wife's sister went to see her back stage when she appeared at one of the west end theatres, my wife also remembers her at a family gathering, when Margaret was then about 14 years of age, she also had a sister called Marion,. and of course my wife knew all the tyzacks, uncles and aunts, (and the uncles  who worked then at Tate & Lyles in Woolwich,)  my mother in law  being a Tyzack too,.

Many regards to you all.

GEORGIAN,

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 August, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »
Hello Georgian
I wonder if your wife was related to Zacheriah Tyzack who was a blacksmith in East Ham in the early 1900's. If you go back on this thread to 20th December 2012 I posted a photo of him.

Regards
Linda