Author Topic: Bingley Road.  (Read 80 times)

Offline alffox

• Taken c1985
    • View Profile
    • The Fox family from Kelfield, Yorkshire and Edmead - Kelly - Brett
Bingley Road.
« on: 11 June, 2019, 09:17:58 PM »
I may have posted this in the distant past - maybe 10 years ago but:-
It might generate some conversations .

To Martin Plimmer and Brian King,
Authors of a book on coincidences being published on May 9th 2019.
They wrote a newspaper article in the 4th May edition of the Daily Mail.

Your article on Saturday 4th May 2019 has reminded me of a spooky coincidence – not once but twice and a short summary is necessary before the actual events.  In 1943 St. Andrew’s Boys Club was formed in West Ham, London by a very special man E C Sydney and became a focal point for many local young lads too young to be called up for the Armed Forces.    The club eventually folded around 1973 and the Manager died in 1977 but a former “Old Boy” Frank Shipman decided to try and keep many of its members together and formed “The St. Andrew’s Old Boy’s Association” which met  initially monthly in “The Wheatsheaf” Public House in Romford, Essex and became very popular.  The Association finally closed its doors in 2018 as the membership had declined.      I submitted the coincidences to our local press after the 2004 discovery and have given it no more thought until reading your article.

Frank Shipman maintained contact with each and every one of the original Club and Association members whose addresses were known and diligently posted out across the world the “minutes” of each and every single meeting that took place in the “ Wheatsheaf”.     One of those old members was a certain George Phillips who at some stage had emigrated to New Zealand with his wife – for members unable to attend meetings it was common for Frank to receive newsletters in return from those far and wide and it is in one of George’s replies that the spooky part of my story begins.

These are George’s own words in a letter to Frank Shipman dated November 13th 2001.

In my first year at Bowls I had won a tournament and was having a celebratory drink at our local Returned Services Association Club – and I must point out that the Club is very impressive with a large Restaurant, Lounge, Dance Floor, three large Billiard/Snooker tables and three Pool tables also an Indoor and Outdoor Bowling Green.   At our table sat this chap called Mike McCarthy and it became patently obvious that he was a – cor blimey – (a description of a person from East London, England) – and we struck up a conversation.  It transpired that he came from West Ham and as is usual, we went on to discuss Pubs, to ascertain where we came from and what we knew about the place.

We got to the “Greengate”, The “Castle” on the opposite corner and then proceeded down Prince Regents Lane to the “Nottingham Arms”.    He said “That Pub’s on the corner of the road I used to live down – Bingley Road”.  Well, what do you know, said I, So did I.      He then said “Yes, I lived at number 18 from about 1935 until 1939.   George Phillips had moved into the same house in early 1944.   

Now that is an incredible coincidence.  Two guys meeting for the first time and 12000 miles away from the same house that they had both lived in – number 18 Bingley Road, Custom House, London. E16.  George Phillips did have photographs and documents as proof.  Mike lived there in 1939 and George in 1944.   But that is not the end of the spooky story of 18 Bingley Road.

To some of my immediate family I am the “family historian” and at times I get asked to look into some old family history – in this instance it was my cousin Helen Clayton (nee Fox – living in Spain) who asked me to look into her mother’s side of their family.  She knew very little of the maternal side as her mother – my Aunt Nell - had died from a brain tumour in Helen’s early teens.       The limited knowledge that she had, led me to Ellen Maie Cable whose father was Robert John Cable with her mother being Eliza Cable (nee McKanna).

The birth certificate that I ordered on the 16th August 2004 showed the birth of Ellen Maie Cable on 12th May 1916 and amazingly the birth took place at Number 18 Bingley Road, Custom House, West Ham, London.

Number 18 Bingley Road saw Ellen Maie Cable born there in 1916
Number 18 Bingley Road saw Mike McCarthy living there c 1935 to 1939 (or could it have been Mike McKanna)
Number 18 Bingley Road saw George Phillips living there in 1944

To my knowledge the small terraced house is still standing
With the last two named unknowingly meeting up in New Zealand 12000 miles away.

I am not aware if George Phillips is still alive in Orewa, New Zealand although I do have his address from 2001.  Frank Shipman is to my knowledge still alive but not in good health - his son Mark who travelled with Frank to almost all Association meetings lives in Kent.       Copies of this message has been sent to Mark Shipman and Helen Clayton just for information and interest.

alffox

Offline alffox

• Taken c1985
    • View Profile
    • The Fox family from Kelfield, Yorkshire and Edmead - Kelly - Brett
Re: Bingley Road.
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2019, 09:23:04 PM »
The St. Andrews Boys Club meeetings took place at Tollgate School - Seniors Tuesday and Thursday and Juniors on Friday . Mr. Redgrave was the caretaker and the club became very well known for all kinds of sporting activities across East London etc

alffox.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »
Two names come to mind regarding Bingley road are Bill Tinton and Arthur and Betty Alecks both Betty and Arthur were in Mr Davey,s class at Shipman Road School(couple of names for Ken to remember!!) they were ,not identical twins .  Regards Harry.I.
« Last Edit: 14 June, 2019, 06:12:31 PM by harry »

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »
Hi Harry, I can remember the Alecks twins also Bill Tinton all in Mr Davey class with me.
Arthur was a mixer, Betty was very conscious of her rounded figure & wouldn't say boo to a goose.
Bill Tinton would loaf about with  Stanley Wynn, two big fellas.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2019, 04:08:55 PM »
Hi Ken Bill Tinton was known as "Big Bill" Tinton ,and Arthur Aleck,s Nick name was Archie as in Archie Andrews Peter Brough,s Dummy And Stanley Wynne was "Ginger" Wynne just a few of the Nick Names I remember and there was quite a few!!!. Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2019, 05:06:00 PM »
Harry, you have a remarkable memory for names, my recall is limited to a few, now Miss Towser comes to mind, I wonder why?
We have slipped a long way from Bingley Rd.
Ken.
« Last Edit: 13 June, 2019, 05:08:12 PM by KenM »

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2019, 12:46:08 PM »
Hi Ken Re Miss Tozer ,there are a couple of pointers I can think of that would bring her to mind!!!. Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »
Harry, trust you to keep abreast of things.
Ken.