Author Topic: Bridge Road Pictures  (Read 243 times)

Offline Eddieb

• View Profile
Bridge Road Pictures
« on: 26 May, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »
Hello,

I'm looking for old photos of the top end of Bridge Road (say down as far as the Albion).   

I lived at no. 22 from 1952 until the mid-60s, but have since discovered that I was not very observant, and that there were houses along my bit that I never noticed!

I've been doing a little research, with old OS maps, census, and street directories, and found it very interesting, but quite surprising.

Anyway, the only photo I have is from a moving train, looking towards the High Street, and it doesn't show that much. I can't post it here because of the very small attachment size limit.

All the best,

Eddie

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Bridge Road Pictures
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2019, 02:12:23 AM »
Hello Eddiie, I have heard someone ask for pictures of Bridge Road before and I know they are difficult to find. The only one I came across was this picture of Stratford Market Station taken in 1952 which shows Bridge Road running along one side of it.

Offline Eddieb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2019, 07:41:24 PM »
Thanks for this Mick. What a great photo: I can pick out all sorts of features, the nissen hut houses, the School, the Albion, and I think I can just about spot where my house was.

Best wishes,

Eddie

Offline Eddieb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2019, 07:48:09 PM »
Mick,

I see your aerial photo is on the Disused Stations website. The sister photo to the one from the train I referred to is also on their, under Stratford Market Gallery 2. It's called Driver' s view of the approach to Stratford Market station. Is there any chance you could use your super duper technique to post it here?

Regards,

Eddie

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2019, 12:27:52 AM »
Hello Eddie. I have loaded the 'Drivers View' of Stratford Market Station as you requested. The second picture is a magnified section of a 1952 hi-res aerial picture I created from the Britain from Above Website. I then loaded the picture I created onto my own website, which I needed to do to be able to feed it into this message. As you will see I have centered it on Stratford Market Station and have included as much of Bridge Road as was in the picture. There is also a lot of central Stratford in the background.

Because of its size, you will need to use the slider bar at the bottom of the picture to see it all.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »
Ediie, I have now been able to find another 1952 aerial photograph of Stratford on the Britain from Above website, which I have magnified and  shows a much better view of Bridge Road, as well as Stratford Market Station. Again you will need to use the left/right scroll bar at the bottom of the picture to see the full view.

I also looked at an old Ordnance Survey map to see where your home at 22 Bridge Road was located and magnified the section around the Albion PH. If I am correct, you can see your old home just in view, four properties to the left of the Albion PH.

« Last Edit: 28 May, 2019, 03:37:42 PM by MickG »

Offline Eddieb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
Great photos  - thanks. I have to say the last thing I expected was aerial shots, but they do provide a lot of detail, and look great. And of course I can't help but cast my eye well beyond Bridge Road to the places I used to wander around, such as down the now lost Channelsea River, and  Carpenters Road School, to which I was transferred when Bridge Rd was closed.