Author Topic: A SECRET TREASURE . . .TO ME AT LEAST!  (Read 3030 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
A SECRET TREASURE . . .TO ME AT LEAST!
« on: 28 October, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »
Today a group of us had the pleasure of returning to Newham to see a first-class show being performed by the Brick Lane Music Hall Company held  in the converted St Marks Church, in 443 North Woolwich Road, London, E16.  A great show was enjoyed by a very large rather mature audience who all arrived by coaches.  Some repeat visits
How great it was to see the church and war memorial renovated and put back into good use instead of being sold as a factory or allowed just to rot away causing it to be demolished.
Entertainment and a light tea was enjoyed and served in a cheerful, happy-go-lucky, way, with plenty of Cockney banter exchanged by the local ladies who served us.
You know, that friendly, Cockney warmth and wit we seem to think disappeared in the East End is still alive and surviving.
Well worth a visit. Will go again.

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
Re: A SECRET TREASURE . . .TO ME AT LEAST!
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »
I couldn’t agree more........Brick Lane Music Hall is brilliant........Vincent Hayes has done a fantastic job and has sympathetically converted the old church into a theatre..........I just love the large mural outside on the factory wall, and he has certainly spruced up the St Marks War Memorial. I would also like to mention that Vincent  also supports the local community events.

Kathy

Robert Rogers

Re: A SECRET TREASURE . . .TO ME AT LEAST! Photo 1
« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2009, 08:27:19 AM »
Please find some photos of the Mural.

Kathy is 100%, the church now looks quite striking now.

The Brick Lane Music put on a free show at the Veterans day event in June at North Woolwich, a very good show with the singers both male and female in Uniform.

Robert Rogers

Re: A SECRET TREASURE . . .TO ME AT LEAST! Photo 2
« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2009, 08:28:19 AM »
Another Photo

Robert Rogers

Re: A SECRET TREASURE . . .TO ME AT LEAST! Photo 3
« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2009, 08:29:10 AM »
Photo 3

Robert Rogers

Re: A SECRET TREASURE . . .TO ME AT LEAST! Photo 4
« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2009, 08:31:36 AM »
Mural Photo 4

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »
Without doubt Kathy, John & Roger, also a secret treasure to me as well!  I regularly attended St Marks Church services and was married there in Sept 1963 by the Vicar Rev. Joe Stephens.  He was quite a character and pulled a few strings to get me into my very first job in T&L offices.  Back in the early 60’s my girlfriend (now wife) and I used to help Joe Stephens by accompanying him on his pensioners coach trip days out that had been financed by local businesses.  Certainly not the Southend, Margate or Clacton type of away-day coach trip, but a lot further afield – Weston Supermare was a favourite destination complete with a 3-course meal in that large hotel that was set on some sort of peninsula on the beach.

I am also pleased that St Marks Church has been saved for such a worthy cause as Brick Lane Music Hall and I attach a larger mural pic that I took in 2008. - Stan
« Last Edit: 01 November, 2009, 10:08:06 AM by Stan Dyson »

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »
A more distant view showing the entrance to St Marks/Brick Lane Music Hall.

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »
Finally, a view of the inside that I took in my 2008 visit. - Stan
« Last Edit: 01 November, 2009, 10:11:38 AM by Stan Dyson »

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »
Stan, I see that in your second from last picture you managed to capture the most important shop on the mural. Yes. You've guessed it.--The PIE & MASH SHOP! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: 01 November, 2009, 12:16:52 PM by nellanhoj »

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2009, 08:49:41 PM »
Hi John – well, I never noticed the P&M shop in the original pic (which was originally 1.24mb) but on zooming in I see you are quite right…what good eyesight you have!  Anyway, below is a selected enlargement of the St Marks P&M shop…what a pity it didn’t have ‘Mrs A Olley, 18 Rathbone Street – noted for eels & pies for 40-years’ over the top of it! – Stan.

Offline jplant1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:06:23 AM »
St Marks was very nearly lost. Tates wanted the site for a staff car park. It was quite a tough fight on the Council to block the sale. Whenever I go past it I remember the long arguments, and winning it was one of the things I am still proud of from my time on the Council.

The architect of St Marks, S S Teulon, was one of a group called "rogue architects" during the big revival of the gothic style, when adherence to textbook design principles was regarded as a high virtue. Teulon, Lamb and a couple of others worked in a much more individualistic way. Teulon developed the use of coloured stone and brick for external decoration, and St Marks is a good example of his style. Another of his designs is the colourful Buxton Family Memorial Fountain in the gardens on the embankment near Parliament.

Robert Rogers

« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2009, 09:32:08 PM »
Managed to get in to see todays show at the Brick Lane Musical Hall, (There`ll Always be an England). Now I know why it is so hard to get a ticket, the show was fantastic!

It was not only Locals, there were coaches from Essex and from Kent, so it is very popular.

For thouse of you who are older (or just wiser!) and do not like going out of an evening, try the Mantinee Proformances, complete with Afternon Tea.

For Public transport it is about 10 mins walk from the nearest DLR station.

Their website is www.bricklanemusichall.co.uk