Author Topic: Moving On  (Read 176 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Moving On
« on: 26 April, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »
Hi All, I have moved to IM FROM CUSTOM HOUSE NOT CANNING TOWN
After posting a photograph of my Shipman Rd class, I received many comments from classmates or people that recognised someone. It does seem a bit more lively than Newham Story.
Harry may recall the names Pat Ling & Pat Collins, both been recognised  by their friends.
Early days.
Ken.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
Re: Moving On
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2019, 07:08:33 AM »
Hi Ken
I belong to Memories of East Ham, Memories of Manor Park and East Ham and the Newham History Society all under the Facebook membership. I also have had a good response from former classmates and its been lovely to catch up and remember old times.

I hope you continue to enjoy your Custom House site

Best Wishes
Linda

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2019, 11:08:16 AM »
Linda, thanks, I will dip into the Newham story now & again to keep in touch with you all.
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2019, 01:35:26 PM »
Good luck on your new group Ken. I belong to a number of East London related groups on Facebook as well as various London history and fire brigade groups, and I am a Admin on the Retired London Firefighters group. Not everyone use Facebook though which make me think there is still aplace for thos board.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »
Hi Mick, I was not aware of the many dedicated East London related groups, I have linked up to both  Plaistow & Custom House & see how the cookie crumbles.
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »
Ken, I have listed below the East London groups I belong to on Facebook plus a few other London ones. There are however dozens more, some of which I do not even know exist. Some will cover smaller parochial areas or be confined to a particular interest group like a school. Thier names are exactly as I have copied them here so if you are interested, you only have to copy them and past them into the Facebook search box at the top of every Facebook page.

Newham History Society

Growing Up In The Eastend Of London

Plaistow,and LOCAL Areas

Plaistow PLUS

East End Memories

Memories Of E13

EAST      LONDON  AND BEYOND,

Memories of FOREST GATE  E 7 AND STRATFORD E15

Walthamstow Memories

Old Memories of Walthamstow & District

The London History Forum

Postcard London  Lots of post card pictures of all of London in this group that are put into albums by borough

Loving London of Old

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2019, 04:18:43 PM »
Thanks Mick, they sound interesting.
Ken.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2019, 02:42:38 PM »
Well ,what a ta do , if Harry and Mick leave I,ll be last man standing as I.m not on face book . I,m happily married but I want keyboard friends, if you get my drift , with interest in the Royal Docks 59 onwards with the area changing so fast and my memory not what it was this Forum was a handy escape to years gone bye , so thanks Newham Forum for not encouraging those new to the area for joining and listening to our ramblings, if everyone go's all you will have left is those wonderful old posts from us .

Ed

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2019, 03:37:48 PM »
Hi Ed, I have joined both Custom Hse & Shipman Rd school forums, but I will still be poking my nose into Newham story. What I like about these other forums is it is so easy to post a photo.
The Custom Hse forum is loaded with some very interesting photos of bygone days.
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »
Ed, I wont be leaving. Although I subscribe to various groups on Facebook, particularly my Retired London Firefighter group where I keep in touch with my old colleagues. However as I said before, I do believe there is a need for both types of social media as many people like yourself do not use Facebook.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2019, 05:10:36 PM »
Hi All I  find that these Facebook sites are hard to follow ,or is it just me being a bit Thick ????? regards Harry I
« Last Edit: 30 April, 2019, 11:09:00 PM by harry »

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »
Harry, Facebook is an acquired taste but can be interesting at times.
Where did Newham Story go wrong, it was such a great forum 2 years ago, with so many interesting posters, but collapsed like a pile of cards.
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2019, 05:34:21 PM »
Ken don't forget that Newham shut the board down overnight without warning or explanation. There was no form of notification either when the board was resurrected. Many of the old contributors looked for other outlets and I know a lot of them now of Facebook. The big difference I find between the two is that you do not tend to get the same in-depth discussion as you do here.

Often I have posted an in-depth article on Facebook and many of the replies are like, my mums aunts step-child three times removed used to live in Stratford.  :)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 April, 2019, 06:07:12 PM »
As Mick says many of us have "emigrated" to the various Facebook Groups but still browse and contribute to this site from time to time. On Facebook there are also groups that deal with Manor Park, Manor Park and East Ham, and East Ham so the whole of Newham is covered in one way or another. I think we were badly let down when this site closed without warning a couple of years ago. Some months later Linda and I were asked if we would be prepared to assist in the admin and we both visited Stratford Library but nothing became of it. We also suggested that it wouldn't be too much hardship if all the former contributors were sent an e-mail advising that the site was back up but again nothing became of it. As Mick says with Facebook you may have to tolerate some rubbish comments from some individuals which you soon learn to ignore. There are some great photos of the area on Facebook and it is good to see former contributors to this site like Stan Dyson and Mark Brennan posting regularly. A real pity that posting photos on this site which open up discussion is almost impossible. ED, I feel for you in your predicament but am aware that Mrs S. is on Facebook and I am sure she will let you know how it works.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2019, 07:55:00 AM »
About 6months ago I was contacted by a gentleman who used to live in East Ham. He had joined the Forum but was blocked every time he tried to make a post. He had tried unsuccessfully to contact Admin so I rang on his behalf. It appears they are receiving hundreds of spam posts daily and haven't the staff to delete them and somehow this gentleman's posts are among them. I gave them his details and they requested he emailed them, but up to now he hasn't received a reply and still can't post on the Forum. He has since joined the Facebook memories sites and I have been reading some lovely memories of his childhood in East Ham.
It makes me wonder if this has been happening to other new members and would explain why we haven't had any new posts since the Forum reopened. If this continues and its noted that only a handful of members are posting will the Forum be classed as not needed by the Borough.

Linda