Author Topic: trolleybusses  (Read 21147 times)

Offline JOHNL

• View Profile
trolleybusses
« on: 09 September, 2009, 11:51:39 PM »
I remember,as a youngster,going with my mum over to whipps cross on the trolleybus i think it was a 669?. Anyway,on youtube theres quite a bit of footage on various trolleybusses travelling through newham and various parts of london.nice to see the parts i remember as they were.in particular theres a few othe bridges to be seen around the docks that no longer exist.
another one moves from london!

Offline Graham Starling

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Re: trolleybusses
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »
John,

I don’t think that would have been the 669.  If my memory serves me correctly, the 669 ran from Stratford to North Woolwich to be replaced by Routemaster 69, Chingford Mount to North Woolwich.  The most likely candidate I have found for the journey that you described is the 661, Aldgate to Leyton.  Does that help or confuse you?

All the best,

Graham

Offline Graham Starling

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2009, 06:58:40 PM »
John,

If this post goes to plan then there should be a picture of a 661 trolleybus part of the original caption for which was ‘1591 enters Whipps Cross roundabout’.

All the best,

Graham

Offline JOHNL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »
thanks for that.my memory is not as it was due to a heart attack and a mild stroke.but,yes i think you are right about the number 661.it must have been when i went with my dad to his work(john knights)that i travelled on the 669

Robert Rogers

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »
There were 10 trolley routes in this area, these were No.655 Ilford to Aldgate, No.665 Canning town to Old Street, No.669 Stratford to North Woolwich, via Canning Town, No.685 Walthamstow to Woolwich, No.689 Stratford Circular via East Ham with No.690 running the same route but in the opposite direction! No 597 Smithfield to Barking via Canning Town and  No 695 Chadwell Heath to Bow via Manor Park, Forest Gate and Stratford, No.697 Chingford to Victoria Dock via Abbey Arms and No.699 which run from Chingford Mount to Victoria Dock via Greengate.

There is more on Trolleybuses on the Newham Story site.

Offline Mike Baines

• What a pretty picture!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2009, 05:02:19 PM »
And the 687 which passed along Upton Lane past saint Bonaventure's and on to Saint Angela's.

We used to pick it up at The Abbey Arms.
Gercha!

Offline Graham Starling

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2009, 05:27:09 PM »
John,

In a recent topic, ‘Stratford Broadway – North Woolwich route ‘Jobs-worth’ Bus Conductress’, Stan Dyson included a picture of a 669 trolleybus in Tramway Avenue, Stratford.  In case you missed it, it’s worth checking out.

A few years ago I went to the London Transport Museum at Covent Garden where amongst other things they had a trolleybus.  On seeing one after all those years it did bring it back to me just how big they were.  I believe their passenger capacity exceeded the standard double deck motor bus of the time, the RT, and even its replacement, the Routemaster.  I can still hear the whine and clicking of the electric motors as those majestic vehicles just seemed to glide along the road.  But, they didn’t look too wonderful on those occasions when the booms became detached from the overhead wiring and the conductor had to get the long pole that was stored underneath the bus to reattach them.

You mentioned the trolleybus route that terminated at Whipps Cross.  I don’t if you know it but that wasn’t the most easterly part the network reached.  One route went as far as Chadwell Heath.

All the best,

Graham

Offline Graham Starling

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2009, 05:28:30 PM »
Robert,

Thank you for that information about trolleybuses being included on the Newham Story site.  I’ll check it out.  As you may have guessed, when It comes to London Transport buses I’m a bit of a closet anorak and so that should give me a welcome ‘fix’,

All the best,

Graham

Robert Rogers

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
If you like trolleybuses, look at the video section on the Newham story, you will be in `second heaven`.

Fantastic video of Trolley buses in West Ham, and even if you do not like Trolley's, just trying to work out where some of the views were filmed is a joy in it self.

Offline Graham Starling

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2009, 09:25:05 PM »
Robert,

I’ve just looked at that clip.  What a fantastic sequence someone has put together there, pure unadulterated nostalgia.

Actually, most or all of those shots are on a commercially available DVD from ONLINE VIDEO.  They produced two titles, London Trolleybuses, Part One and Part Two.  I think it is Part One that deals with trolleybus operations in the eastern part of London.

Buses were a part of everyone’s life back in the 1950s.  I suppose it was towards the end of this decade that private car ownership started to take off and bus passenger numbers started to decline.  I recall that relying on buses for transportation then was no real hardship as within the London Transport area the service was extensive, frequent and relatively cheap.  The buses themselves had character unlike today’s examples, most of which look like portakabins on wheels; as for those bendybuses, ugh!  Bring back the Routemaster.

All the best,

Graham

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2009, 11:02:56 PM »
Graham,

.................. and in those days people formed an orderly queue at the stops and took their turn to board the buses and trams, except that the obviously pregnant woman or infirm person would be given precedence. Similarly, on all public transport men would give up their seats to standing women and the elderly. That was no "big deal" but part of our upbringing.

My first job, in 1938, was in Oxford Street, so I caught the 25 bus from Romford Road (the stop opposite Hamfrith Road) to Aldgate. Depending on time (and funds)  I would then take the Central Line to Oxford Circus or walk it. I happily stood all the way, anyway. As a 6ft, young, shy lad I gave up my seat to anybody and everybody but I felt good about it.

Now? A bus stop is a "free for all" and the strongest survive. Spread across the pavement and make a dash for it when your bus arrives.

Give me Romford Road of the 1930s, thank you.

Bert.

Offline Graham Starling

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »
Bert,

Looking back at the London Transport as we knew it, one notable feature was the length of quite a number of the routes.  Some of the red central area buses that passed through Stratford were 10 (Abridge to Victoria Station), 25 (Becontree Heath to Victoria Station), 32 (Wanstead to Victoria Station) and 86 (Upminster to Limehouse).  How many buses would you need to catch if you wanted to make any one of those journeys today?  Then of course there were the Green Line coaches, 721 (Brentwood to Aldgate) and 720 (Bishops Stortford to Aldgate).  One of my memories of Stratford Broadway during the 1950s is this concentration of buses before they diverged to go their separate ways either towards London or to make their journeys via West Ham Lane, Romford Road or Maryland Point.  All that, together with so much of what we remember of Stratford, is of course long gone.

All the best,

Graham

Offline JOHNL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
when i  went fishing,as a youngster,i used to go to the hollow ponds and one thing i remember was the tram lines,set in concrete,that ran by the side of the road opposite preston road e11.later(at 15 or 16)i used to go out to harlow and stortford on the 720 or721  green line.i also remember when the 720/1 was a single decker stopping at the wakes arms for a break before carrying on to harlow

Offline Graham Starling

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »
Bert,

I’ve got to tell you this.

Just after I made my last post I strolled down to my local convenience store which is about three or four hundred yards from where I live in Billericay.  As I turned into the main road where the shop is situated, there, trundling along towards me was a Routemaster bus in red London Transport livery.  Oh, and the route blinds it was showing were none other than 25.  How about that for a coincidence?  Oooooh, spooky!

I assume the vehicle is one that is privately owned and for hire.  What a way to arrive somewhere, in a Routemaster bus.  Forget your stretched limos, that’s style.

All the best,

Graham     

Offline Graham Starling

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 September, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »
John,

Yes, I remember the single deckers (RFs) on the 720 route to Bishops Stortford.  I only remember the 721 route, which ran from Brentwood to Aldgate, being double deck operated, first by RTs then Routemasters.  Before that, just after WW2 when Green Line operations were reinstated, I believe the route was served by the dreaded utility buses.  I recall my parents talking about those buses and the rough ride they gave, especially along the cobbles which formed much of the roadway around Stratford.  Apparently, they nearly shook the fillings out of your teeth!

All the best,

Graham