Author Topic: Mums old sayings  (Read 177 times)

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Mums old sayings
« on: 07 April, 2019, 12:01:29 PM »
Been a bit quiet on here lately, so, given me time to think of mums words of wisdom to me and me brother ,heres a few, some are from the internet that she wouid have said
" Because I said so , If someone asked you to put your head in a gas oven , would you , I, told you a thousand times , Say pardon not what , Don,t sit to close to the t.v you,ll get square eyes , Who,s she , the cats mother , All quiet on the western front , I,tll end in tears ,I wan,ts never get , You,ll have someones eye out with that , Black as Newgates knocker ,  and the list go,s on     Bless her and some of these my Daughters and son use , oh and a favourite of mine who one of my cleaver Grandsons like using is  Tuppney Appney  for shoddy or rubbish goods  thats after explaining the old currancy system   .

All the best Ed

Offline harry

• View Profile
Re: Mums old sayings
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »
Hi Ed I make you right tis very quiet on here it seems as if there are only four of us that use this site!!.  I find it more interesting to look at some of the people looking on as visitors and go back to read some of the old posts  from for example 2008 to find how many people were using  this site and think where have they all gone??. You were right on about the old sayings from mums and nans and things they used to do, my nan always took hairpins out  of her hair if there was a thunder storm ,or open the windows just in case the glass got smashed??.  Regards Harry I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:46:11 AM »
Hi Ed, war time Mums were worth their weight in gold & deserve a medal.
Coping with rationing, queuing up for hrs in all weathers for basic food items, to put a decent meal on the table, which some of us took for granted. Fetching & carrying water from a standpipe many yards away when the water main was blown up. The nerve racking times that we went out during an air raid looking for shrapnel & not knowing where we were. A good slap or being sent to the Anderson shelter was severe punishment, or I'll tell Dad when he comes home.
All this accepted with good humour most of the time, yes, there were many laughs in between the sad moments.
Ken.

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2019, 07:40:31 PM »
I'm sure I have posted this before but it still makes me laugh that if something was useless or someone had done something pointless my granddad used to say "like a one legged man in an a**e kicking contest". I frequently refer to the toilet as the khazi and I think this is from my dad and his lifelong friend who often used this term.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2019, 03:01:23 PM »
The Job I thought I would like to do when I left school was a wringer out for a one armed window cleaner!!
What I would like to ask any old builders can you remember scaffolding when it was wooden scaffold poles held together with wire bonds with an heart shaped eye spliced in one end the other end kept plane, these were about six foot long. the uprights were held captive in an old barrel filled with sand and all the diagonals and horizontal poles were  lashed together with the wire bonds. Can anyone remember how high they went with this type of scaffolding compared to modern metal scaffolding. In wet  weather the bonds were  kept nice and tight but in dry weather the bonds had to be tightened up . Does all this sound about right to builders out there??  Regards Harry.I.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2019, 01:45:35 PM »
Harry ,wouid that be Shammy davis jnr .  Blimmy how far are you going back with your scaffold post ?  started in the building game late 60s with me ol mate Fred or Mervyn as you knew him and we had metal scaffolding , but I remember the bamboo scaffolding in the far east , scary stuff 

All the best Ed

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »
One of my Mums favourite sayings when she called me a " cowson "  according to the dictionary a mild  form of verbal abuse , than she " payed me" thats another one for ging me a good " iding "  . Never did me no harm and I grew up to be lawabiding , only a few speeding fines and over due Library tickets oh and a caution from a policeman obstructing the pavement when pickating at the Docks

All the best Ed

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »
Sorry Ed I forget that there are some on here that are a few years younger than I ,but the time I am referring to is around 1946 (this is around the time your mum and Dad were courting????I guess) only joking. I,m thinking that with all the tall buildings in the City etc they must have used this type of scaffolding or something similar .Obviously the metal tube type is much more efficient and speedy to erect, but there has been a couple of incidents where these have collapsed.
Shammy Davis Yuk yuk yuk !!I find cleaning windows at my time of life a bit of a pain.Regards Harry.I

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »
Hi Ed, your mention of the bamboo scaffold poles in the far east made me smile when I think that most of the building labourers were woman who were built & looked like Mike Tyson.
These woman would climb up the scaffold balancing 2 containers full of concrete on their shoulders & continue all/week.
They looked very flimsy but I never saw any collapse.
Ken.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »
Harry ,,1946
     I was 2 years old  mate ,      All the best Ed   Hero Member   

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2019, 11:10:36 PM »
Peg in the hole. Black as Newgate's Knocker when cleaning my ears when I was small. What you doing up there, a clog dance?

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2019, 03:21:49 PM »
Are you growing potatoes in there(Ears)or take your glasses off next time you have a wash!!or you have left a tide mark on your neck!!   Regards Harry.I
« Last Edit: 20 April, 2019, 10:44:14 AM by harry »

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 April, 2019, 04:52:49 PM »

Dark skies , It,s black over bills mothers way , south side of thames, over the water, me mum never ever called me Ed or Eddie or Ted, he was christened Edward and thats his name. Istill have a few older cousins early 80s who still call me Edward , think mum frighted them if they shortened it . The front door was always the Street door , and over our back garden fence leading to the River was alwas the Dumps

All the best Ed , thats me taken liberties cos mums not here bless her