Author Topic: The Good Old Days - The Winkle Man  (Read 3266 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Re: The Good Old Days - The Winkle Man
« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2019, 02:44:51 PM »
Thanks Harry, Clacton was always a favourite sea side trip when I was in my motorcycle days, prior to NS.
Reggie Gane & Reg Talbot & myself would often have a weekend there & stay under canvas to save pennies.
I don't often move out of Dorset these days, Avon Beach near Mudeford is 5 minutes drive should I want a swim.
I do believe that Tubby Issacs at Aldgate has closed after 4 generations of Tubbies.
Ken.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2019, 05:19:40 PM »
A firm Saturday night favourite of mine after a fruitless pickup night at the Palais was calling in at the late night stall at the Brewery Tap Barking for hot Pigs trotters and chips yum yum . My missus and kids just can,t believe we used to eat that . Mr Ramsey and all he,s  tuppney appney mates don,t know what they were missing . , anyway it was safer than having a chinese and doing a runner , appy daze  All the best Ed

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #17 on: 24 April, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »
As kids w regularly had cockles and winkles for tea on Saturdays. Sometimes the whole family would sit around the kitchen table in advance picking the winkles out their shells, they same way we used to sit around the table for shelling peas from their shucks. I always looked forward to seaside trips and the seafood stalls with their little white plates of various seafood. I think they used to cost 6d.

There cannot be many East Londoners who have not visited Tubbly Issaccs stall at Aldgate at one time or another.

Visiting Osborne Bros cockle sheds at Leigh on Sea for a cockle tea  was another favourite. It's all been modernised now but I remember at times depending on the tides, it was possible to see the men bringing the cockles ashore from the cockle boats in large baskets strung from yokes around their necks.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 April, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
Mick, as usual a very factual picture of our subject , been served there many times , and also propped up the bar of the Billet a a few times  one of the few pubs around I know who sold the dutch beer Oranje beer . On a sunny day like your photo ,a few sherbets of Oranje then strool out onto the old high street across to the sea food stall then collapse on those pub benches ,a trip to old Leigh and didn,t even get me feet wet ,  truely the good ' ol' days     
All the best Ed

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 April, 2019, 04:47:38 PM »
Hi Ed, now you have really upset the apple cart talking of hot pigs trotters, a favourite supper of mine,
you cant even bye them in the butchers shops.
Now if you ask a butcher for a pigs head to make some decent brawn he thinks you have lost your marbles.
As for Chinese restaurants which are springing up all over the place, there isn't a day passes where one hasn't been shut down by the health & safety bods. Even the local pubs are jumping onto the Thai, food wagon, with real ale taking second place.
 Rant over.
Ken.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 April, 2019, 02:53:08 PM »
Drifting a little, but did anyone go cockling to Whitstable & wade out to collect the cockles as the tide was going out?
Take them home by the bucketful, feed them overnight with oatmeal so that they cleaned out any grit. Then boil them until the shells open wide. A very tasty meal, far nicer than the chewy little lumps offered by the supermarkets.
Ken.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 May, 2019, 10:07:01 AM »
Ken, I never did "cockling" at Whitstable but remember in the 1950s our family along with our neighbours used to go to Shoeburyness East Beach to do "cockling". We used to collect the cockles in big leather shopping bags and buckets and remember all of us coming home to East Ham in the old "slam door" steam train where we took up the whole compartment. I'm sure that the compartment remained empty for the rest of the day due to the mess and smell that the cockles made.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 May, 2019, 11:07:19 AM »
DougT, the smell of sea fresh cockles is missing these days.
The cockles sold in little pots are not fresh & processed, removing the natural aroma which made your mouth water.
I did go to Leigh on sea which is close to Shoeburyness & bought nice cockles as they came ashore from the boats.
There are cockle beds at Poole close to where I live but not in abundance & there are closed seasons.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 May, 2019, 05:27:09 PM »
Near to the end of the war we went on holiday!! to stay with an aunt in Wallasey and while we were there we went cockling at New Brighton and went cockling there following the receding tide  managed to get quite a few buckets to take back home.  It was quite surprising how easy it was as  you could detect where the cockles were by the little jets of water they sent up from just below the surface of the sand a quick move with a spade and voila one juicy fat cockle.   As you stated Ken they needed a little treatment to get rid of the sand.  Another memory from that visit was that most of the children in that area wore clogs and obviously we had to have a pair and caused quite a few stares nd remarked on our return to Custom House!!!. Regards Harry I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 May, 2019, 05:21:59 PM »
Hi Harry, as you say you picked the ones that produced the little squirt of water, that way you knew that they were live & fresh. Oh dear, must stop dribbling on my keyboard.
Ken.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 May, 2019, 12:16:12 PM »
Morning all,
  well remember our winkle man pushing his barrow \ cart around our streets on a Sunday morning looking splended in his whites and his well dented silver mug , also loads of Pubs then had a pitch outside the pub to purchase the seafood after a belly full of beer .
Never got round to liking Whelks , to rubbery but a health hazard if one was dropped on the cobbles beside his stall, if you trod on one you took off like Torvill & Dean .

Still with us I see Ken , you know it makes sense .           All the best Ed

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 May, 2019, 02:16:28 PM »
Hi Ed, yes the Facebook forums not to my taste, no real conversations, just remarks.
I have deactivated my account.
Ken.