Author Topic: Drones  (Read 317 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Drones
« on: 24 March, 2019, 01:44:16 PM »
Hi all, with all mention of drones, you would think that it is something new.
Can anyone remember the model aircraft enthusiasts flying their immaculate models on Chingford Mount.
A rare treat for us kids to be taken to see dozens of planes zooming around the skies.
These models were all hand made to scale, fitted with tiny petrol engines, the guidance could be a little hit & miss with sometimes a sortè into the crowd watching them, but to see a miniature Spitfire so close was a treat.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
Re: Drones
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2019, 03:04:34 PM »
Hi Ken those flying models could be seen flying on Wantstead Flats most weekends during summer weekends as you  said these models were quite impressive made to scale models some with multiple engines!!. Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2019, 11:52:17 AM »
Harry, I have seen grown men in tears after seeing their aircraft nose dive into the ground & smashed into tiny pieces, after hours/days constructing them, but they always seem to come back with a new model.
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2019, 11:53:39 AM »
Ken, I think you might have meant Chingford Plain near the Royal Forest Hotel as Chingford Mount is a busy public road. My older brother used to make model airplanes but of the type shown in the picture driven by a large and thick elastic band. He used to fly them on the open land by Whipps Cross Road. Then he turned his hand to motor driven model boats. There were a lot of these on Sunday mornings at the Hollow Ponds. I think enthusiasts also used the small pond on Wanstead Flats.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2019, 03:03:34 PM »
Mick, I believe you are right, as I can remember a large hotel being close to where we would stand, it certainly was a busy place on weekends.
Thanks also for another great photo, how those models flew so well on an elastic band.
I can recall the smell of the liquid that was painted on the fabric to make it tight, it made me feel a bit woozy.
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2019, 04:15:53 PM »
Ken, The picture below I created using Google Earth and the large expanse of land is Chingford Plain. It is where model aircraft enthusiasts fly their models. The location is the end of the London building line where Epping Forest starts. The large building top right is the Royal Forest Hotel and that is Rangers Road leading up to it.

The liquid you smelled that made you feel a bit queasy is called dope and it is used to harden fabric and tissue paper and also makes it shrink which makes it tight and hard over the airframe. It was also used on larger aircraft like the Gypsy Moth and Swordfish. My home adjoins the Yeovilton air base and years ago an old cattle farmer told me one of the Swordfish had to make an emergency landing in one of his fields. The farmer advised the pilot against leaving his aircraft unattended but the pilot thought otherwise. While the pilot went off to phone for help, a herd of cattle surrounded his plane and apparently they have a liking for the taste of dope. When the pilot returned, all he found was just a bare airframe and engine left. The rasp like tongues of the cattle had eaten the rest.

« Last Edit: 04 May, 2019, 04:22:55 PM by MickG »

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »
Mick, cattle certainly have a taste for strange things, in a field near to where I live a farmer had some bitumen felt stripped & eaten, from several of his small portable buildings. One wonders what their milk tasted like.
Ken.