Author Topic: Dockland  (Read 273 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Dockland
« on: 08 March, 2019, 01:04:13 PM »
I can recall my dear old dad telling me about The Queens Chimney located somewhere in the royal docks.
He did say it was where contraband was burnt, although I worked in the docks for a few years I never discovered where is was. Did it get destroyed in the bombing during the war?
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Dockland
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »
Ken, This was located just inside the Royal Victoria Dock wall near the junction of Victoria Dock Road and Freemasons Road. You could see it from the roadway. We used to call it the Queens Pipe. It was certainly here until the docks closed and were opened up to the public.
« Last Edit: 08 March, 2019, 03:03:40 PM by MickG »

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
Mick, thanks for prompt reply.
I must have seen it many times without knowing it, as I used the café in that area when working on the Blue Star ships. I hope that the dock development board have not demolish it in the name of improvement.
Ken.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2019, 04:07:24 PM »
Ken , was the cafe you referred to the one just tucked into the Railway siding opposite the Railway Tavern pub I remember it being faiorly small and just along from the steps the footbridge taking you into and over the railway into the Vic docks . This was where You and I wouid pick up casual ships carpentry work for Cork Insulation on the Blue Star boats . I spoke to my oppo Fred the other day and we can't remember how we ended up down at Dollar Bay where the ship was working ,we certainly didn't walk the length of the Burma Rd ( Nth side Albert Dock ) with loaded Tool bags , we think we went by lorry , perhaps you remember .Those days I was 21 and didn't have a car so all my Ship works was by Shanks Pony and also no buses ran inside the Docks then if I remember.

All the best Ed

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2019, 11:57:31 AM »
Hi Ed, you are spot on with the café, almost opposite the end of Freemasons Rd.
Cork Insulation did have a lorry, used mainly to transport the painters equipment, but if Joe Bicheno was feeling happy, he would organise it to take the men & their tools to Dollar Bay.
I'm not to sure as I was one of the regular chippies & only moved away just before Cork closed.
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
Ken, You may be interested in the link below to a 1893 Ordnance Survey map of the docks which you will need to copy and past into your browser. I have centred in on the old Customs House where the Queens pipe used to be located. I did check on Google maps but it all seems to have gone now under the Excel Centre and its environs.

Interestingly enough, It was the Custom House in the docks that the surrounding area was named after. An earlier 1867 version of this maps shows Custom House and much of Canning Town did not exist at all at that time. Everything north of the dock wall was marshland. Even Victoria Dock Road was called Liliput Road then.

The second link is to the earlier map. The maps can be zoomed in and out.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101919807#zoom=5&lat=1902&lon=7022&layers=BT

https://maps.nls.uk/view/103313030#zoom=5&lat=1617&lon=6515&layers=BT
« Last Edit: 19 March, 2019, 03:08:11 PM by MickG »

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2019, 04:55:26 PM »
Mick, thanks for reply & links to maps of the long ago Custom Hse area, unfortunately I am unable to open the files after several attempts but I will have another few tries. It will be interesting to view the area where I used to live all those years ago.
Ken.