Author Topic: West Ham Carnival  (Read 2309 times)

Robert Rogers

West Ham Carnival
« on: 25 May, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
Have just put a small item on the Newham Story page by kind permission of the West Ham Speedway Web site http://www.freewebs.com/customhousekid/index.htm site

It has brought up a question, does anybody have any other memories of the West Ham carnival in the 1950's.

Seems it started from Forest gate and ended up at Beckton Park.

Can anybody else remember this event?

The photo shows Ron Butcher who wrote the original item, so it is thanks to him and Ray Bysouth for allowing it to be used.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
Re: West Ham Carnival
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
I have the souvenir programme of the "West Ham Coronation Carnival Cavalcade" 30th May 1953. There is a sketch map of the route. Assembly points in Forest Gate (Osborne, Claremont and Windsor Roads). Termination point was Canning Town Recreation Ground.There was a display in the Ground of mainly military units, and the massed choirs of West Ham School children. Event No 8 was a display by the National Trotting Association. Was this something local? There was also a "Mammoth Firework Display by Benwells."
Alan
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2009, 08:50:27 PM by ALANF »

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »
Further to my last, there is an advert for an "Open Air Civic Service" to commemorate the Coronation, to be held in West Ham Park on Saturday 31st May 1953 at 3.15 p.m.  The last bit made me laugh - "Drill Hall, The Cedars, if raining."  For some reason that reminds me of Dad's Army!

Robert Rogers

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2009, 07:56:19 AM »
Thanks for that, things now make more sence.