Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 360 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Re: Nostalgia
« Reply #15 on: 08 February, 2019, 11:23:31 AM »
On the suject of rationing, fruit such as Bananas & Oranges were not stricktly on ration but sale was restricted by the greengrocer. Only parents with very young children could get their hands on them, I was once taken to a doctor who advised that I should eat more Bananas, that caused a laugh in the family.
A strange thing eaten during the war was locust sticks, locusts compacted into a firm stick the size of your finger which would be slowly nibbled, no waste. Another aquired taste was that of Whale meat, once eaten never forgotten.
I am sure posters must have memories of unusual war time food.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 February, 2019, 02:14:53 PM »
Hi Ken I think you meant liquorice stick which was from the root of a plant the other one was a locust been which we saw growing in Ibiza which was fed to their Donkeys and Goats.The liquoriuce stick I seem to remember was kept in your top pocket of your jacket for a crafty chew in class when "sir" was,nt looking.
 Further to your discussion with Ed in a previous post re carpentry during my last few years at work I took a interest in Classical Guitar and after reading a book  by Irvine  Sloane i decided to have a bash.
I used to come home from work as a joiner and after tea would spend time in my shed working on one of these Guitars some times to 11 ocloick at night. I mentioned this this at one time to my boss Iain Wallace and he said how can you work all day doing joinery work and then work late at night making Guitars and I told him I did joinery work for a living which I liked doing but I liked making Guitars more. I carried on making them up until my Eighteth birthday before calling it a day.I had up to then made thirty Guitars some I have given to family members a few to charity one to my old music teacher the last four i still have at home which i still play not all together as you would guess  but one at a time all in all a very satisfing pastime .Regards Harry .I

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 February, 2019, 03:19:51 PM »
Harry, the locust to which I was referring was the locust bean from the carob tree which you spotted growing in Ibiza.
The ripe, dried & toasted pods made into carob bars as treats.
Carob powder is still used as a chocolate substitute in many confectionary items.
The Ibiza goats milk after a feed of locust beans, would have a distinctive Cadburys flavour.
I may well have kept a bar in my shirt pocket well out of the sight of Mr Davey.
Ken.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 February, 2019, 12:21:22 PM »
Hi Harry, on the topic of Mr Davey, the best teacher in Shipman Rd school when I was there.
I was told that he was knocked about badly at Caen in  the Normandy landings, sustaining serious injuries.
He never, ever mentioned it, the info was passed to me by another teacher.
Seeing life in the raw & not from a university campus gave him an edge on todays teachers & we were the lucky ones.
Ken.
(https://postimg.cc/bZWBxMZb)

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 February, 2019, 02:48:40 PM »
Hi Ken I seem to recollect that he seemed to suffer somewhat with a back problem and this showed up in the way that he walked or when he stood in front of class with his hands on his lower back and stretched somewhat as if to ease a pain in his back just an observation on my own. As you say he was a good teacher but was able to administer the cane in cold blood as I found out in one instant after returning from playtime when filing up the staircase in an orderly manor ,when one David Stone grabbed my hand on the handrail forcing me to forcefully to pull my hand away, this was seen by one of the teachers that was stationed on each landing . On returning to class Mr Davey entered and asked the "two gentle men " fighting on the stairs to come out front where we were given "two of the best". Do you  recall the class choir singing "fairest evening of the year we bring happy greeting using tonic solfah ??.Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 February, 2019, 12:16:17 PM »
Hi Harry, I can remember David Stone, he was a good friend of Derek Stead who used to live in Royal Rd, a friend of mine. When Mr Davey choir were on full volume in the main hall, I was often told to keep my mouth shut.
On many ocasions I wondered to myself, how can such a rough bunch of kids make such nice music, great days.
Ken.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 February, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »
Harry ,   sorry I forgot you were also a wood butcher like ken and myself , most impressed with your guitar making , never really got into that  although made a few skiffle instruments like Tea chests and also a dab hand at making street racing soap boxes . Have to say I seemed to coast through my joinery apprenticeship and was what I would call a get by chippy or a useful pair of hands , only wished years later I had listened to our old bench chippies jack humpries , archie kemp , les floyd , bobby boyce ,and the Grinling Gibonns of the workshop  Henry Farmer a country boy genius with wood , he did try with me , but the beatles and pop music plus the cuba crisis and cold war scaremongering by the old boys seemed to blot out Henrys mentoring .
In those days 1960 s seemed very promising in woodwork , but the flat earth society blokes in our workshop poured doom and gloom on timber say fibre glass was the way forward , well happy to say I made a living out of it , perhaps the same for Harry and Ken , .
Timber was and still is a very diverse material , rather like me I trained in Ships carpentry , went on to Building site work ,Shopfitting , Exibition work , Boatbuilding and the last few years Hand made Kitchens and Bedrooms ,
All the best Ed

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 February, 2019, 04:20:22 PM »
Hi Ed like you I did allsorts of woodwork through the  years stated working for  a ships chandlers making hatch covers etc made turned ?items from gripe  pins scupper plugs pulley blocks Carley floats for Royal Navy companion ways gangways bulwark ladders lifeboat masts and of course flagstaffs the last one made was a 60foot RAF type for Oliver Reed to celebrate the Queens Jubilee which was erected in his big house Broome Hall in Surrey(that was quite an experience I can tell you).I seem to recall I might have worked  for an old pal of yours Mervin(Fred) Lawes for a while doing the old double glazing .But the work that gave me the most satisfaction was making staircases and supplying joinery for pub re-fits bars ,windows, doors etc. Jobs I can remember working on were The Wellington in the Strand ,the Magpie and Stump along the old Bailey in the city .The most local pub was the Anne Boleyn near Southend Airport where you can see the conservatory on the front which  was one of the parts that I did. There were plenty of other smaller pubs too many to remember.  I reckon that both yourself and Ken have many similar stories to relate regarding your working life??.  Regards Harry.I.