Author Topic: Stratford Broadway  (Read 499 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Stratford Broadway
« on: 17 January, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »
I came across his picture of Stratford Broadway dated 1929 which I had not seen before. It is quite clear in it's detail. The one thing that struck me is is shows traffic flowing both ways either side of St John's Church. Presumably at this time the traffic must have merged by West Ham Town Hall. Traffic still appears to be relatively light but I would have thought it could not have been long after this date for safety reasons that the permanent gyratory system was introduced.

Stratford Broadway 1929

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Re: Stratford Broadway
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2019, 04:06:44 PM »
Hi Mick, I can never remember traffic flowing both ways around St. Johns in Stratford Broadway and would imagine that where it merged which may have been near the Town Hall or at the junction of the High Street and Angel Lane would have been chaotic and as you say it is likely that any change would have been made pre-war or immediately following the war. I have not been to Stratford for a few years now but a friend of mine who visits his father every weekend in Stratford has told me that the latest traffic flow system is chaotic.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »
Hi Mick, great photo of Stratford Broadway, can you tell me what is the obelisk in the foreground?
Probably a memorial, but to what?
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
Hello Ken, The obelisk is called the Gurney Memorial after a Samuel Gurney. He was a wealthy banker who lived in the area and was a leading figure in the anti-slave trade. If you Google 'Gurney Memorial' you can find out a lot more about him. Below is an extract I copied from one website.

Mick

Samuel Gurney (1786-1856) was a local long time resident and a prominent and influential Quaker.

He supported his sister Elizabeth Fry in her work to improve prison conditions and played an important role in securing the emancipation of black slaves. He campaigned long and hard in his philanthropic work and also campaigned to abolish the death penalty.

The obelisk and grey granite memorial here states: In Remembrance of Samuel Gurney who died the 5th June 1856. Erected by his fellow parishioners and friends 1861. When the ear heard him it then blessed him.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:02:47 AM »
Hi Mick, thanks for info on Samuel Gurney, my he was a busy fella, having his fingers in so many projects.
This is the history that should be taught at school, it would have made it much more interesting.
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2019, 09:31:53 PM »
Just a post to displace a spammers announcement on the main page.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2019, 08:20:00 AM »