Author Topic: Irrelevant Rambling  (Read 304 times)

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
Irrelevant Rambling
« on: 01 January, 2019, 10:35:23 PM »
Sorry to start off the New Year with a moan but...

I was going to reply to Linda's Christmas Greeting but in the end I lost interest. There were eleven replies to this post and only two of them had anything to do with the subject. I have had posts here hijacked in the past and my feelings have ranged from insulted to fuming at the bad manners.

I am perfectly sure that no offence was intended, and I am equally sure that many potential members find it a turn off.

Happy New Year to all.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Irrelevant Rambling
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2019, 04:33:23 PM »
Hello Bob. Happy New Year to yourself and everyone else.

What you are saying about posts going 'off-topic' is correct but that tends to show the humanistic nature of people. Someone only has to write something for someone else to pick up on a odd nuance in the post, and before you know it, everyone is going off at a tangent. I suppose you can compare it to a written version of Chinese Whispers where a message given to one person, becomes more and more grossly distorted every time it is repeated to someone else. I know it can be frustrating at times to the original author, but other media such as Facebook suffer from the same thing but often to a greater degree. The one good thing about Facebook is it has Admins overseeing their own forums, but here unfortunately we have none except for the board operator.

I am certain no offence is normally intended, it's just the way things are in the world.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:44:09 AM »
Happy New Year Bob. I think possibly those posts were mistakenly put in the wrong section. I know it has happened in the past. I had hoped that some members who stopped posting might see the greeting and respond. Never mind perhaps we shall get some new input in the coming months. If only we could all print photos I'm sure there would be more interest.
Best wishes to you
Linda

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:39:54 AM »
Hi Bob, I guess I have been guilty of high jacking posts, it is as Mick says, you "pick up on a nuance" & hey presto I'm rambling on. My apologies to anyone that I have upset, thanks for your polite nudge Bob, I will think before I ramble in the New Year.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
Hi All I concur with every thing that has been said  and I apologise for doing the same thing.
But I find It hard to miss out on something that can add a little something being a little joke or a funny reply.
 For instance Micks remark of Chinese Whispers brought to mind the story from the first world war of the message "Send re inforcemnts we w are going to advance"after many times being passed on became "send three and fourpence we are going to a dance".
 Any way I wish every one old posters and new a very happy new year from Harry.I