Author Topic: West Ham Lane  (Read 234 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
West Ham Lane
« on: 26 November, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
West Ham Lane was originally a connecting road between the settlements of Stratford and West Ham. As the area expanded, the thoroughfare became a mini-shopping area in its own right and also sported the local police station, court house and Queen Mary's Hospital.

The picture below is looking towards Stratford Broadway and the corner of West Ham Town Hall can just be seen on the left. At this time (1902) Tramway Avenue did not exist, but a narrow alley along side The Swan Public Hose, led to a tram depot out of sight on the right. Shorty after this photograph was taken, some of the buildings on the right which included a working men's club, were demolished to make way for the new Tramway Avenue

West Ham Lane 1902

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
Re: West Ham Lane
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2018, 09:38:52 PM »
Hi  interesting photo , i wonder if the princess of wales public house and Victoria st were behind these buildings at the time
  possibly another little street will have to get the maps out .I think Mark St was a little bit further back in the photo.
poppy.

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
I can remember as a young child that a man shot some policeman in West Ham Lane and the surrounding roads.
He was cornered in a phone box near Wanstead flats where he shot himself I think the phone box was on the corner
of Blake Hall Crescent. I don't think there is a police station in West Ham Lane any more but it used to be opposite the Rec.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2018, 08:29:42 PM »
Hi Biff   i remember the incident with the policeman it was about 1962 i think?  I used to live behind West Ham Police station in the 1950s.
I remember the old police  cars going by just like, No hiding place T V Series. also the Noddy Bikes and then Panda cars and Ford Capris  with a red stripe on the side, i think they called them jam sandwich s  and Rover 2000 s.
West Ham police Station has moved further down west ham lane towards the Town hall on the corner of Bryant Street its now called Stratford police Station for some reason, it  was built on a  Bomb site , i think it was a large sort of Church and hall that got bombed, we  used to play on there as Kids.
Poppy.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #4 on: 30 November, 2018, 09:06:55 AM »
Poppy. I did check the 1893-95 Ordnance Survey map and apart from Tthe Swan, no public houses are shown behind it. The building arrangement behind The Swan is also shown as being different on other Ordnance Survey maps before and after Tramway Avenue was created. I can only assume The Victoria came into being after the construction of Tramway Avenue.

Online KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »
Hi, West Ham Lane was where I took my motorcycle test in around 1953 ish.
I cannot remember where the centre was, but I can recall there being a cinema on the corner of the test route. In those days the examiner ran around the route, hiding in doorways & jumping out in front of you for the emergecy stop, brave man.
Ken.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »
Hi Ken  i cannot recall where the test centre was but remember a driving school down West Ham Lane call Mayes or Mays near enough opposite Queen Mary;s hospital , the cinema down West Ham lane was called the Century originally West Ham Kinema  then The Kinema And in 1951 renamed the Century it was on the corner of Densham Road which lead to the Portway,
Hi Mick had look at my map before 1902 and it shows Victoria St and the pub the princess Of Wales it looks like they built tramway avenue just after the pub  , i think the pub must just be out of shot in the photo, the pub is now called the secret Weapon.
Thanks Mick.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
Queen Marys Hospital  , had me Tonsils removed then , and taken home in a wartime ambulance , alas no siren

All the best Ed

Online KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2018, 11:40:11 AM »
Hi Ed, you dont hear of nippers having their tonsils out theses day, I wonder why, could it be that antibiotics have become more widely used?
I have been told that you were given ice cream after the op, that must have been a treat in those days.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »
There also was a Gaumont  Cinema in Stratford broadwy opposite the town hall.
Regards Harry.I.
« Last Edit: 04 December, 2018, 02:37:53 PM by harry »

Online KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 December, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
Hi Harry, the Gaumont cinema, is that the one where the buses stopped right outside the main door?
A favourite of mine, as you could often nip in through the exit doors.
Ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #11 on: 05 December, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
Broadway Cinema, Tramway Avenue, later renamed The Gaumont.

Tramway Avenue, Bus stop out side Gaumont Cinema.

Online KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
Hi MickG, a great photo of a trolley bus, why did they ever do away with them?
Quiet, fast & not smelly.
I used to catch the 699 from the Connaught terminus, a nice hassle free journey.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
Hi Ken one of the men who worked at Butterfields left and took a job driving the old trolly buses and used to tell us the story of Dockers trying to jump on the bus as it turned the corner from Victoria dock road into Prince Regents lane he said he would accelerate hard to see the docker hanging on for dear life as he sped away.Regards Harry.I.

Online KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 December, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »
Hi Harry, that corner was a ninety degree turn & if the driver wasnt careful the overhead poles would come off & swing about, the passengers would utter a few cockney words of displeasure at the delay.
The pawnbrokers shop on that corner always had a queue outside on Monday mornings.
Ken.