Author Topic: West Ham Buildings  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Andy C

• Lived in Liverpool Road from 1948 to 1977.
    • View Profile
Re: West Ham Buildings
« Reply #15 on: 05 March, 2019, 07:38:30 PM »
Hello MikG and all the old timers who still monitor this site like I do. Thanks for resurrecting these photo's as they show the area in which I lived from 1948 until 1977. Centre of the top photo shows Liverpool Road in almost its entirety, from Barking Road to Star Lane with the blue flag indicating The Anchor PH. The bomb damaged area is now the location of Avondale Court. Prior to the devastation caused by a land mine the road through the site was Gage Road, when the court was constructed the road was split with the north becoming Dale Road. What is of interest, is the houses adjacent to the site that appear to have sheeting over their roofs. I also noticed a circular feature on the bomb site and one of similar shape on the bomb site at the top of Malmesbury Road close to Star Lane, could these be water tanks used by the AFB to supplement water supplies. Incidentally the low level building in Liverpool Road was still there in 1977, we held our wedding reception there.

Good to be back AndyC

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: West Ham Buildings
« Reply #16 on: 06 March, 2019, 12:20:18 AM »
Hello Andy, Great to hear from you again. I did find another photograph on the Britain from Above website that was obviously taken at the same time as the one you have already seen. This one is centred on the old Rathbone Street with Barking Road running through the middle and reaches as far east as the Barking Road/Star Lane junction.

I did zoom into the circular features you mention which you can do on their website although there comes a point where definition starts to break down with the greater magnification. At first I though these circular features looked too shallow to be Emergency Water Supply Tanks (EWS) but I found another one which was still full of water located on Hudson Road. I also looked up images these tanks on Google which confirms that is exactly what they are. The one on Google are brick built and look about four feet high, but they do contain a good supply of water.

I also note there is a row of five Nissan huts in Percy Road and in the second photograph, (unpublished here), there is a row of prefabs running either side of Fisher Street.