Author Topic: Wives of Henry VIIIth.  (Read 86 times)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Wives of Henry VIIIth.
« on: 04 March, 2019, 07:54:43 PM »
I watched an interesting couple of TV programmes on Channel 5 on the last 2 Saturdays regarding the wives on Henry V111th. Quite easy now to remember the order, Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived. We all know the "connection" with Boleyn Castle, Boleyn Pub and The Boleyn Ground and many of us will realise that some roads off of Barking Road were named after his wives. Arragon Road -  wife 1 - Catherine of Arragon, Boleyn Road - wife 2 - Anne Boleyn, Seymour Road - wife 3 - Jane Seymour. Cleeves Road - wife 4 - Anne of Cleeves, Parr Road - wife 6 - Catherine Parr. But does anyone know why wife 5 - Catherine Howard did not have a road named after her? I know there is a Howard Road East Ham in the Bonnydowns area but would have thought that the houses in that road were built considerably later than the roads near the football ground where the mainly Victorian houses were demolished in the early 1960s so no idea why Catherine Howard was omitted unless it was anything to do with her life style pre-marriage.

Offline harry

• View Profile
Re: Wives of Henry VIIIth.
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »
What about Howards road Plaistow???? Regards Harry.I.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Wives of Henry VIIIth.
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2019, 10:31:51 AM »
Doug, I did try researching this but could find no definitive information online. That really only leaves supposition, but I think even so, that reasonable deductions can be made.

Although there is also a Howard's Road in Plaistow, I think that can be dismissed from the equation. Although often thought to be in West Ham, possibly because of the name of the adjoining football ground, Green Street House, (Boleyn Castle), was actually in the Borough of East Ham as eventually was West Ham Football Club with the boundary line between the two boroughs running down the middle of Green Street. This meant that East Ham Council, then I still think under the Essex County Council, would have had responsibility for the naming of roads in this area. The Ordnance Survey map of 1892-1914 shows there were insufficient existing roads in the surrounding area at the time to include all  the names Henry VII's wives or associated Tudor names. The northern tip of this block of roads was still bounded by the ornamental lake which had been part of the gardens of Green Street House. To the west after Aragon Road,  no further roads are shown as coming north off Barking Road other St Bernard's Road before High Street North is reached.

My best guess and it is only a guess, is that Howard Road East Ham was named when that particular development came along, and developers were looking for street names at the time.

As a point of interest, one reference I had in the London Fire Brigade before I retired, was to approve all new street and building names within Greater London. One thing I would certainly not have approved was two roads named the same within 2 miles of each other and certainly not in the same borough. However both Howard Roads were named at a time when different criteria applied.

« Last Edit: 05 March, 2019, 10:33:56 AM by MickG »