Author Topic: West Ham Buildings  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Bill Sharpe

• View Profile
West Ham Buildings
« on: 24 January, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
Can anyone tell me what year West Ham Buildings in Manor Road was built, also what was there before, was it fields leading up to the railway or was it part of the Memorial Grounds?

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
Re: West Ham Buildings
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »
Hi Bill

West Ham or Manor Road Building went up in 1925. Here is a link to a photo and some information on the Newham Story website http://www.newhamstory.com/node/314

On the 1914 OS map the area where the buildings are is shown as fields.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

Offline Bill Sharpe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
Many Thanks Kathy,
I knew I could depend on you.

Bill

Robert Rogers

« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2009, 08:15:03 AM »
The original area was known as Star Fields and is mentioned on a map of London in 1777.

The area shows on a mid 19th century map as West Marsh.

The photo shown in the item is now apart of the development of the DLR station and Star Lane is closed off to allow for the new station, the remaining part of the old buildings area has the new extention of Stat Lane school built on it

Offline Limey

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2009, 05:49:17 PM »
I have very fond memories of the West Ham Buildings.  My aunt lived there in the 50's and I as a teenager lived in SW London and would spend a lot of week-ends there.  As I recall the outward appearance was shabby but the inside was very nice and cozy.  I remember a little Record shop nearby where I would sometimes buy a 78, anyone remember 'Sippin' Soda' by Guy Mitchell?  I drove my Aunt crazy playing it over and over again  :)

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »
My late eldest sister lived in the buildings from the mid fifties to the mid sixties. She was rehoused there when the house she was living in was part of a slum clearence scheme. She lived in I think Clifford Rd., which was at the back of Canning Town Station. It was so old, it still had gas lighting. I was always fascinated when it got dark, seeing these pipes on the wall having a match put to them to provide lighting. How far we have come!
Alan

Offline Barry

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »
Limey, where was that picture taken please?
Treat everyday of your life as your last.
One day you will be right.

Why do New Age Travellers have old caravans and Old Age Travellers new ones?

Offline Limey

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »
Barry
The picture was taken in 1953/54 on Holiday at Corton Beach Holiday camp in Lowestoft...me on the right.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »
Bill, try this link. and read about the grounds before the buildings. Arnold Hills west Ham united, etc. Very interesting.

http://www.lalamy.demon.co.uk/whustory.htm

Offline Barry

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2009, 08:41:10 AM »
Thanks Limey.
Wrong camp. If you had said Warners, Dovercourt (HiDeHi fame) I would have sworn blind that the couple behind you were my Aunt Lou and Uncle Bill from West Rd. Stratford.
Treat everyday of your life as your last.
One day you will be right.

Why do New Age Travellers have old caravans and Old Age Travellers new ones?

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »
Bill, try this link. and read about the grounds before the buildings. Arnold Hills west Ham united, etc. Very interesting.

http://www.lalamy.demon.co.uk/whustory.htm

I discovered about a year ago, that my maternal grandfather, Charles Hornsey, played for Thames Iron Works and West Ham United. He was a reserve in the White Horse final at Wembley, and one of my cousins still has his medal. He was by that time about 40 years old, but I don't think that was an exception in those days. 
With reference to the Chairman of TIW and his liking for cycling, I remember that my father once told me that cycling races were once staged at the Memorial Grounds.
That was a great read, the history of the football team. What great days they were. Winning promotion in 1958 and providing 3 members of the world cup winning side.
Although I haven't lived in West Ham for many years, during my travels, no matter where in the world, come Saturday, I have always looked to see how the "boys" have done.
Alan

Offline Limey

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 April, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »
Barry
Sorry it would have been quite a coincidence..it really is a small World.  Corton Beach apparently opened up in 1933..found this old pic. on Google.
« Last Edit: 02 April, 2009, 05:19:28 PM by Limey »

Offline Tony_H

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2009, 10:46:17 AM »
Hi All
I'm new to the board and would would be grateful for your knowledge.
I've been researching my family tree and have been visiting places to make a photo record to bring the history to "life" a bit.
I lived in Belmont Road from late 50's to early 60's.  The name of the road has changed but some of the original buildings still stand and some have been demolished.
This is a bit of a long-shot but would anyone have any records / maps or photos of the area showing the original layout.
All the best and many thanks in advance.

Offline billyboy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 October, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »
 I used to hang about the [buildings] when i was about 16 - 18 had many good times there partys and a few bonfire nights  on the mems, and a few other things i could tell you about  which i think i better not......
« Last Edit: 03 November, 2009, 09:23:12 PM by billyboy »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2019, 04:52:26 PM »
This is another picture I came across on the Britain from Above website taken. Due to the amount of detail in the picture, I have split it in two.  It shows Canning Town north of the Barking Road and stretching all the way to Stratford. Being taken immediately post-war, extensive bomb damage can clearly be seen. To assist getting ones bearings, The Royal Oak and Canning Town Public Library in Barking Road can be seen centre bottom of the picture. The Peggy Leggy steps can be seen to the top left and if scrolled right, the as yet undemolished Trinity Church and be seen on the corner of Hermit Road. Hilda and Pretoria Road Schools can be seen top centre (right).

In the second picture Manor Road Buildings and the Memorial Recreation Ground can be seen. I think the white dots on the recreation ground may have been connected with the WW2 AA Battery that used to be there.

This particular thread was well subscribed to in the past by previous members, and hopefully if they still have the same email addresses, they should receive an email notification.

Scroll right to view more of the image.

Canning Town North Barking Road - Hilda Road School (https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW000652) required copyright licence notice

Canning Town North - Hilda Road School - Stratfford