Author Topic: What was "war damage payment"?  (Read 433 times)

Offline Rogier

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
What was "war damage payment"?
« on: 26 October, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »
Hi All
Glad to be back on the forum.
Reference to renovating this church:
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Holy%20Trinity%20Church,%20Canning%20Town

Was this money from Germany?  Or?
Family historian researching: Allum, Bozier Burrows, French, Goldfinch, Myer Poague, Tyers, Ellis and looking for pictures of Star Street, Scott Street and the early Burke Street

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: What was "war damage payment"?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
Hello Rogier, Welcome back and it's great to hear from you again.

I did try looking up the answer to your question about reparations for war damage to Trinity Church. I did not get too far I am sorry to say and I suspect you might have already tried to research this yourself.

All I could really find was details to a 1943 War Damages Act and the creation of a War Damages Commission but most of this dealt with principles rather than detail. However because this was a national body, it is likely detailed records, if any, would now be stored in the national archives. It is also likely the Church of England also has its own records stored somewhere.

I would not really know where to start when trying to assess the financial cost of war damage. Clearly areas like Canning Town faced significant damage as indeed did other areas of the country like Coventry. I think it likely other countries occupied by German forces may have faced even heavier financial  losses.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has any definitive information.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Re: What was "war damage payment"?
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2018, 09:34:03 PM »
I had heard of the "War Damages Claims" some years ago but was never too sure as to how the payments were determined. I understood that any claims needed to be made within a specific time scale which I guess was difficult to do during the war and also that the claim was only to put the building back into it's pre existing state with no scope for any improvement. I think the War Damages Committee or whatever it was called existed until the mid 1950s. My own experience concerned a building erected in the 1930s which suffered what seemed minor damage when a bomb landed close by. It was not until the early 1960s that structural damage became apparent with a "split" in the brickwork from top to bottom and also that all the Crtital Window Frames had distorted during the bombing leaving ever increasing gaps around the frames.