Author Topic: East End Bombing  (Read 1070 times)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
East End Bombing
« on: 04 August, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »
Programme just finished on BBC 2 this evening regarding the Blitz and the effect on Canning Town in September 1940. Particular reference to the UXB at 8 Martindale Road and the South Hallsville School tragedy that occurred a few days later. Worth watching on i-player if you missed it tonight.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: East End Bombing
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2018, 12:31:35 AM »
Hello Doug. I saw this programme the first time it was screened. If I recall correctly it made reference to the alleged cover-up at the number of deaths that occurred at Hallsville School. 

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »
Hi MickG, the exact number of deaths at Hallsville school still remains a mystery.
After all these years, surely the authorities could release the true figure, it must be known.
kenm.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2018, 11:44:32 AM »
One of the estimates I read put the figure at over 600 deaths.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »
Hi MickG, yes that is the figure given in a resue workers account lodged in the Stratford Library.
There were 77 bodies identified & buried in a mass grave in the East Lodon Cemertery.
kenm.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2018, 10:19:48 PM »
Hi Mick and Ken What I find hard to understand is on the civil defense map showing where the bombs etc that were dropped on West Ham what were the Gerries trying to hit bombs landed everywhere. The bombs that hit Hallsville School were they aimed at the glassworks which was a bigger target than the school???.
Incedently we were living in Scot Street which was just around the corner of Agate Street which was a short walk to Hallsville School.
Very sad story re the War Regards Harry I .

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2018, 12:15:39 AM »
Harry, I think it would be impossible to say what the intended target was other than the blanket bombing of the docks area. I know from documentaries I have watched, that British bomb aimers have said their bomb aiming equipment in the early stages of the war was so inaccurate, that a bomb falling within five miles of its intended target was considered to be a good hit. There is no real reason to believe that German bomb aiming equipment was any more accurate at the time. Smoke from earlier bombs that may have fallen are likely to have obscured targets anyway.

I cannot help but feel the docks and surrounding area were probably subject to blanket bombing in the belief that in the turmoil, a lot of the intended target would be destroyed. If you look at the area of Canning Town north of the docks from about Fords Park Road to Canning Town Bridge, it was virtually all destroyed although in the main that area was mostly housing. Blanket bombing is a 'luck of the draw' exercise where one building g or house can be destroyed but the one next door remains untouched.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »
Hi MickG, If the jerries best view was as  clear as your photo of the Dornier bombers over Custom Hse, it would have made identifying Hallsville school almost impossible. Blanket bombing would have permitted them to hit & run before our air defences were deployed.
I believe Hallsville school disaster was a direct hit from a mine, would a bomb have created such a loss of life?
kenm.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
This subject has been posted on here many times over the years that I've been on here and the old site , Ive tried to campaign about releasing the true figures of deaths , but the authorities are sticking with the 70 odd released , but we " the relatives of lost loved ones " know there was amassive cover up over this , a possible reason I have read was so soon after Dunkirk , Churchill thought it bad for morale and a boost for German propaganda ,if the true figure were released .

All the best Ed

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:14:30 PM »
Sadly, although the monument in East London Cemetery remembering the victims of the Hallsville tragedy, has quite a few names listed I'm sure it hasn't got anywhere  near the true number of victims.