Author Topic: Do I know this place?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Re: Do I know this place?
« Reply #30 on: 14 September, 2018, 06:32:31 PM »
Mick ,Poppy Linda ,
 as usual Mick has come up with a gem of a picture , but not to be to picky regarding the Steps pub which I remember , your picture Mick is actually showing the old Freemasons Tavern which later became the Barge and the pub below it on the opposite corner of Freemasons road was the Railway Tavern which was more or less opposite Custom House Station.
Now on Micks picture we see a buiding set back from Vic Dock Rd and this was the Steps pub or Spanish Seps ,all three of these Pubs were well known and used on a M

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #31 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »
I believe this building is the Spanish Steps but when it was the Custom House Hotel.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 September, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »
Mick , spot on , I used to have a lovely picture of a Beano outing gathered outside of the pub circa 30s but lent it and never got it back will try and get it back . In the 50-60s the pub was almost opposite as I remember ? the footbridge over the railway into the Vic dock where the original Custom House stood  and was a taking on place for casual labour  for Blue Star Ships by Cork Insulation I was taken on for work there in65 ish  one of our posters  Ken M shouid remember , anyway the point was to get over into the Dock you had to use the footbrige and the Steps on it and it was rightly or wrongly assumed the area there was called the Steps like the pub ,   you take your choice
All the best Ed

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 September, 2018, 11:56:26 AM »
Hi Ed, yes I can clearly recall the Steps as being the point where Joe Bichino the Cork Insulation Foreman took on casual staff, being just the dock side of the railway bridge.
kenm.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »
Hi Great photos Thanks everyone for info, i now wonder how it got its name , is the spanish steps a dance ?
Poppy.