Author Topic: Do I know this place?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Do I know this place?
« Reply #15 on: 15 August, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
Hello Ed. I did look at the proposed development for Barking Riverside. In the main it appears to be more towering glass and steel constructions, which have never been to my taste. However that's just me and possibly a more younger generation will view them differently. Diopement is a word I have never heard of and even a Google search has failed to find one example of it worldwide. That includes variations just in case the was a spelling mistake.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2018, 03:31:32 PM »
Mick  ,
         that word you were looking for you wont find, it was a fingerboard mis spelling of development I do make them now and then a bit like texting , can't be bothered altering them ,times to short mate .
All the best Ed

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 August, 2018, 12:35:45 PM »
Hi Ed & MickG, the Barking Riverside development in my opinion, is a mish mash of so called social housing, so that the building targets can be met.
I hope that the building calculations have included the sum of clearing this  heavily contaminated site of toxic waste, asbestos etc, otherwise they will soon be scraping the barrel.
kenm.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 September, 2018, 09:16:41 PM »
Hi Had a stroll down Barking Creek  a few months ago there,s a few old buildings left One being the malt House , I was reading some of the history it said   in the 1800s they had a ice house  to freeze the fish , samuel Hewett had  the idea of putting ice in there from frozen ponds. someone told me the old Granary was to become a restaurant with a Marina ?
Poppy Show

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2018, 11:07:43 PM »
Poppy show ,
   the Barking Creek you refer to always was called the Town Quay , the one I was posting about was Barking Riverside near where the Powerstation was sited  . This area was Creekmouth but it would seem when the D.L.R. reachs it it will become Barking Riverside , how times change . Before the big flood barrier gates were fitted on the mouth of the Roding from the Thames we were often nearly flooded and in 53 were ,  the middle of the Rodind is the dividing line between Barking and East Ham all the way up to the Town Quay .

All the best Ed

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 September, 2018, 09:24:26 PM »
Hi Ed thats interesting about the Boundary, the day i was down the creek we got a Bus from the Town quay to Beckton the bus went under the A13 we came out onto a load of Retail Parks i could not get my bearings  for ages then finally i reconised a pub that wern,t a pub anymore it was the Ferndale looked like it was a supermarket ,i  remember having a shant in there early 70s, then i saw the name Savage Gardens it looked all different to what i remember  i think there used to be a swing bridge somewhere ,did not see it ended up in Asdas .
Thanks Poppy

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 September, 2018, 04:28:57 PM »
poppy show ,
               On your magical mystery tour you mentioned the retail park , well that was on the site of the old Beckton Gasworks and If I remember right there is still an old Gasometer there by the Tescos  car park. I also remember the Ferndale pub always busy morning and lunchtime with Dock workers and straight ahead on the road outside the pub was the Swing bridge you mentioned which was the way in for Ships from the Albert dock basin we used to call Dollar bay sadly gone as well and now replaced by a high road bridge called the Steve redgrave bridge and just on your right side the campus for East london University . Writing this I can remember It clearly although nearly 60 yrs ago very happy memories of my times working in the Docks

All the best Ed

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 September, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
Hi Ed, your mention of Dollar Bay, brings to mind a question; Why was it called Dollar Bay?
kenm.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 September, 2018, 06:28:02 PM »
Hi Ed i remember the Docks 60 years ago when i was a kid, i used to cycle down Abbey Road then Manor Road  past West Ham station then on to canning town , i remember the Liverpool Arms at the Traffic Lights and  a Cinema cant remember the name, then on to silvertown way concrete Bridge , thats where i used to watch all the big liners being unloaded never thought it would all dissapear, i think this is where the Cable car is now,from there i used to cycle to woolwich ferry , i remember looking down one of the streets at North 
woolwich and seeing a great Big liner at the Bottom of the street i can still see it now it was yellow and White,from there over to the otherside of the Thames on the Ferry, can still see the Engine room with the pistons going up and down , disembark and have a walk around Woolwich , remember going in Woolworths another shop on this missing list.
Cheers Poppy.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 September, 2018, 04:45:02 PM »
Ken , my time in the Dock was 59 - 72 this was including a spell at sea and later working as a Docker till 72 and I always remember it being called on acount of the United States Line  or yankee boats berthing there mainly in front of the gates outside the Gallions pub  . Later on I think late 60s they built a large berth by the swing bridge into thr Vic again in front of a pub this time the Graving DockPub I thinlk the berth was Shed no 4 as we used th refer to a berth by their No shed , the Glen line boats were No 13 shed KGV  ,hope this helps mate 
All the best Ed

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
Hi i used to drink in a pub down the docks called the (steps) can anyone remember where it was, and if that was its real name,the memory is  all a bit of a blur now  :-\
poppy

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:53:21 PM »
Poppy, I have been looking on a site called Lost Pubs and I was wondering if this is the pub you remember. It was called the Spanish Steps and was situated at 277 Victoria Dock Road. It was closed and demolished in 1992. The Custom House and Hotel with an attached pub currently occupies the site of the Spanish Steps.

Regards
Linda

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 September, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »
Hi Ed, thanks for reply. I remember the Gallions, this is where the Blue Star 'A' boats were berthed for a while whilst routine maintenance was carried out by Cork Insulation Co.
I left the docks in around 1971 for a more settled life.
ken.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #28 on: 14 September, 2018, 01:39:37 AM »
I think this is a picture of the Spanish Steps in the background.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »
Thank you Mick for printing the photo. I wonder if it's the one Poppy was asking about. I did find a photo of the Custom House and Hotel which was built on the site of the Spanish Steps. I found it on the Lost Pubs of London website but unfortunately I can't seem to print photos like you can.