Author Topic: East ham Station and Little Ilford Signal Box.  (Read 329 times)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
East ham Station and Little Ilford Signal Box.
« on: 16 June, 2018, 01:15:36 PM »

Often, as a child, I was dragged from East Ham to Elm Park to visit some great aunts and uncles. In those days It was possible to get a train from the bay platform at East Ham Station to St. Pancras and I think the service finished in the early 1960s. The bay platform later became a garden tended to by the staff of East ham Station. As the District Line train travelled towards Barking the lines to St. Pancras bore to the left behind Shakespeare Crescent and where Hathaway Crescent now stands was the East Ham Underground Depot which was in us until the depot was built at Upminster. This photo of the Little Ilford Signal Box shows the lines to St. Pancras going to the left with the underground depot in the distance.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Re: East ham Station and Little Ilford Signal Box.
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »
Hi DougT, that is a great photo of a railway signal box.
I can recall seeing pictures of the interior, with all the gleaming brass levers.
kenm.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: East ham Station and Little Ilford Signal Box.
« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:40:19 PM »
Doug, That really is a great photograph of the Little Ilford signal box and surrounding layout.

I have added something of a unique picture of East Ham Railway Station looking east. No date unfortunately but it does tie in nicely with the 1899 map of the area around the station further below. At that time much of East Ham east of High Street North had not been built and the line was the known as The London Tilbury & Southend Railway. It is easy to see why Shakespeare Crescent was built as a crescent as it followed the line of the railway. The location of the future Sibley Grove can be seen, which actually appears to have been a grove. The current East Avenue was originally named Jews Farm Lane

East Ham Railway Station

Map of East Ham Railway Station 1899