Author Topic: The iron lung  (Read 537 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
The iron lung
« on: 15 June, 2018, 02:37:05 PM »
Hi all, I can remember walking past a well used circular metal urinal outside the Connaught Tavern on my way to work.
 I did hear that is was taken away for refurbishment by the Docks Development Board.
Has it been installed in the dock area, not as its original use but as an item of the Royal Docks history?
I will attempt to download a photo for those that dont know what I am talking about.
kenm. (https://postimages.org/)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: The iron lung
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »
Ken, I did hear a rumour some time ago that the iron lung had become lost.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2018, 05:20:06 PM »
Hi Mick, if it was removed, dismantled & not correctly marked, I suppose it would look like a pile of scrap metal.
I did hear that a lot of money was paid to refurbish it, shame if another piece of history has been lost
kenm.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2018, 07:29:45 AM »
I found an article from the Newham Recorder dated 2/8/2015 which says that it was transferred by the GLC to an unknown storage place.
Detective work by a gentleman working for the GLC found that it had been restored and was in storage on GLC land in the Royal Docks.
It apparently is secure within a container until a future home can be found. It is hoped by Newham Council that it can be returned to a suitable spot on the landscape in the dock area.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:24:42 AM »
Hi Linda, thanks for your reply, it is nice to hear that it is in a secure place & not dumped.
The final resting place could be outside the Connaught Tavern, the original location.
kenm.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
Ken,That would be lovely if they could put it there, back where it belongs.
Linda

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »
Lets hope if they do get around to resiting it they give it a bl---y good fumigate , the smell from it was awful . During the build up to the Olympics this was whisked away to asecret location , my theory was the Council was getting rid of any unsitely reminders of the struggles with the Dockers history , bearing in mind they and possibly a few Seamen would have been the only ones to use it , in my time I did have a few occasions to use it but it was dire emergency , although it must be said the Toilets inside the Docks wereno better , still thet 's another topic .
All the best Ed

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
Hi Ed, the stories of Jack Dash & the dockers battles with the PLA would keep this forum going for yonks.
kenm.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2018, 01:11:30 PM »
Jack Dash once came to a Fire Brigades Union meeting on Plaistow Fire Station. It was a branch meeting where we were discussing pay and the start of the process amongst all fire station branches nationally that eventually led to the 1977 strike in the fire service. Jack Dash had came along to lend his support and that of the dockers. He was in no doubt in telling that he would bring thee docks to a standstill if we asked. That however did not prove necessary.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June, 2018, 11:22:03 AM »
Jack Dash tried to put a brake on the PLA treating the dock workers like trash.
The morning calling on circus, was like a cattle market, men should have never have been treated like that.
kenm.