Author Topic: West Ham stadium main gates  (Read 524 times)

Offline Jason Steele

• View Profile
West Ham stadium main gates
« on: 20 May, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »
Thankyou to all those who have replied to my two posts on here. I am after a bit of info..... the model I am making of the stadium is well on its way to completion and I am now stuck on a certain area. I have only ever seen a black and white photo of the sign 'WEST HAM STADIUM' above the main cream gates in Nottingham avenue. I just presumed the wording to be black but am now wondering if the letters were in illuminated red, either the whole wording or the stadium word underneath. If anyone is able to remember how it was it would be of great help..... even better a colour photo showing it!

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: West Ham stadium main gates
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
Jason, I have been looking for colour pictures of West Ham Stadium but have found it to be a difficult process. Internet search engines also tend to mainly find West Ham Football Stadium and although I am quite good at using filters to exclude many pictures of WHFC, many are just entitled West Ham and to excluded those words from the search criteria also excludes pictures of the stadium itself. The other difficulty is most pictures of the stadium were taken at a time when colour photography had yet to become affordable and most cameras were of the box brownie type.

Although its another B/W picture, I have come across this aerial one of the stadium which I have never seen before.

Offline alffox

• Taken c1985
    • View Profile
    • The Fox family from Kelfield, Yorkshire and Edmead - Kelly - Brett
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »
So my second post of the day - from very little to two in a day concerns Martin Peters - he of West Ham fame, a cousin of my wife's family George Brett who along with his son Terry went missing and were never found and my wife's sister on a visit from Shropshire.       One very pleasant Easter perhaps five years ago or more my wife and I along with her sister Josie were taking refreshments at Ingatestone Garden Centre (now sadly closed) and on the bookshelves was a copy of an edition called "Essex Villians" and in that book were chapters of these and other notorius people - "The Rettendon Three", "The diappearance of George Brett and Son" and others.    On telling my sister-in-law about the book and that her cousin George was featured in a chapter she immediately went and purchased the book and sat and read the article completely.          A person prominently named in the article was Lennie Thompson.                                         
Whilst sitting at our table I spotted Martin Peters, his wife, son and fiancee in the queue for food and drinks and they then occupied the table under a sunshade next to ours.     Josephine then asked me if I had any objection to her asking Martin Peters for his autograph and I said go ahead.     She then moved over to the table and excused herself for being bold and said to Martin  - "Are you Lennie Peters" - to which he replied no but my dad was named Lennie.  Josephine had confused Lennie Thompson from the book with possibly popular singer of the time Lennie Peters or even Lennie Thompson.      We all fell about laughing and Martin's wife complimented us on sending Josephine over.     Martin then left his table and along with my wife and I we have a photograph taken of the three of us.  Martin was a perfect gent - he was sad about Upton Park being sold and we talked about other football related issues and now even more sadly I do believe that he is suffering from one of the age related illnesses and is quite poorly.      So Mick I hope that some of the details I have mentioned will generate a few more replies of interest.    Even saddens me to hear that the "BOLEYN" has closed (is this true).
Regards  Alf

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »
Hi alffox, an interesting item about Martin Peters, sad to hear that he is victim to an age related illness.
Do you think thay just maybe, years of heading the sodden wet leather ball may have contributed to the neurological problem?
I seems that so many of the soccer players of that era have succumbed to this illness.
Your mention of Lennie Peters of the Peters & Lee duo brings back memories of decent music.
kenm.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »

A photo of the main gates

Offline Jason Steele

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October, 2018, 10:11:22 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding on here. Firstly thankyou Ken for the picture of the main gates you posted. This is a very famous picture of which I have seen thousands of times but thanks all the same! That photo in colour would be priceless. I know the pillars were definately cream colour with white main gates. I have it on good authority that my guess of red writing ( illuminated) is correct but would still love to see a photo!
Mick.... can I ask what your interest is in the stadium? You are searching for exactly the same thing as I am. It's so hard to find info on the place... it really was somewhat unknown.i have the Ariel photo that you posted but it took me ages to find it. I have a vast array of photos from the stadium but not many of the stands themselves. Did you ever go there ? Also have you ever managed to obtain colour photos of it? There are numerous video clips I have come across too, but once again these are hard to find. I can email you photos of my model if you contact me. Thanks again, Jason.  jasontotti@hotmail.co.uk 07742 024414

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2018, 10:36:37 PM »
Jason, I have no particular interest in West Ham Stadium in the sense that I have never followed either speedway or dog racing. However being based at Plaistow Fire Station it was on my fireground so I had to know its layout. I agree that photographs of the stadium do seem hard to come by at least on the internet. I have copied below a few more that I came across although the chances are you already have them.