Author Topic: East Ham Salvation Army  (Read 398 times)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
East Ham Salvation Army
« on: 16 May, 2018, 07:16:09 PM »
It is with sadness that I advise that East Ham Salvation Army Citadel in Wakefield Street will be closing it's doors for the last time in July 2018. Although The Salvation Army operates in 128 countries it has found it's operations in the UK to be very challenging over the past 30 years particularly in those areas where the demographics have change considerably. The SA has also experienced far less people willing to be trained as full time SA Officers and, whereas over 100 entered the Training College at Denmark Hill each year in the 1960s that number has now dropped to around 20 to 30. In Newham there used to be SA centres in Stratford, Plaistow, Canning Town, Upton Park, Silvertown, Manor Park and East Ham but the imminent closure of East Ham will leave only Stratford as being operative.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: East Ham Salvation Army
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:46:51 PM »
Doug, I am sorry to hear that news. I know that you are a dedicated Salvationist and that news must be something of a bitter pill for you. I just hope however the work of the S.A. will still continue on regardless. I know they have an excellent record for locating members of broken families with the hope of reuniting them with their loved ones.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Re: East Ham Salvation Army
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2018, 10:07:25 PM »
Doug ,
         sad news that, was that your old church ?. Different world nowdays with churchs having to multi task as goodwill centres and shops and cafe's ,even having to share there church with other faiths as you know happened in Barking .
The church that seems to be steaming ahead to me , is the Gospel choir type , must admit was a bit surprised to see one at the Royal wedding , but hey they were great .

All the best Ed