Author Topic: West Ham School of Building  (Read 901 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Re: West Ham School of Building
« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
Hi Andy C, I attended Arragon Rd School as an apprentice Carpenter & Joiner in the early 50s & have some good memories of teachers & fellow pupils, its great to hear that the place was still going in the late 60s.
The wordwork workshop was transfered to a small ground floor annexe adjacent to East Ham Town Hall.
Kenm

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Re: West Ham School of Building
« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »
Andy,
I had no say with my Employers Shaw Savill Line as to were I went to College and whether I went for day release or in your case block release ,however I prefered the day release and night school , gave me a chance to have a pint in the Denmark after lessons .
At this point in my story I have a confession to make as I said earlier my change of Collegewas summer term 64 so was there till christmas break and new year 65, I was then summond to the Head Forman at work and was told that a urgent vacancy on board one of the companys ships needed a replacement Carpenter pronto, in fact aboiut 4 days and was told , being the eldest apprentice the job was mine.
I explained to my boss that I finished my " time " in May so what do I do about College , can't remember his reply , but with the prospect of seeing Australia New Zealand Tahiti South Africa west Indies and more ,coming from a lad who up till then had'nt been abroad decided was a no brainer.  I took great delight in sending the College a postcard of Tahiti saying sorry about not attending

All the best Ed