Author Topic: West Ham School of Building  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Andy C

• Lived in Liverpool Road from 1948 to 1977.
    • View Profile
Re: West Ham School of Building
« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »
Hi Ed,
I also attended Arragon Road starting there in 1964 for 5 years, I was an apprentice with the old North Thames Gas Board. Our time there was on a block release system, 4 to 6 weeks at a time and our workshops were on the ground floor, canteen on the top floor. We also attended the main technical college in High Street South, next to the police station, for science and associated subjects, plus once a week mandatory gym in the old building next to the town hall.

Best wishes  Andy

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
Hi Andy C, I attended Arragon Rd School as an apprentice Carpenter & Joiner in the early 50s & have some good memories of teachers & fellow pupils, its great to hear that the place was still going in the late 60s.
The wordwork workshop was transfered to a small ground floor annexe adjacent to East Ham Town Hall.
Kenm

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »
Andy,
I had no say with my Employers Shaw Savill Line as to were I went to College and whether I went for day release or in your case block release ,however I prefered the day release and night school , gave me a chance to have a pint in the Denmark after lessons .
At this point in my story I have a confession to make as I said earlier my change of Collegewas summer term 64 so was there till christmas break and new year 65, I was then summond to the Head Forman at work and was told that a urgent vacancy on board one of the companys ships needed a replacement Carpenter pronto, in fact aboiut 4 days and was told , being the eldest apprentice the job was mine.
I explained to my boss that I finished my " time " in May so what do I do about College , can't remember his reply , but with the prospect of seeing Australia New Zealand Tahiti South Africa west Indies and more ,coming from a lad who up till then had'nt been abroad decided was a no brainer.  I took great delight in sending the College a postcard of Tahiti saying sorry about not attending

All the best Ed

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #18 on: 27 February, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »
Ken, I believe I have found a picture of the West Ham School of Building. Queens Road and Carter Road Bridge crossing the railway line to the north. St Mary's Road to the south.

Complements of Britain from above website.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 March, 2019, 03:37:34 PM »
Thanks Mick, what a cracking photo of West Ham School of Building & surrounding area.
I can remember cycling from Custom Hse & passing lots of waste ground that had been cleared of bombed buildings & terraced houses that were ripe for demolition & the photo shows this perfectly.
Wow! that photo brings back many memories.
Ken.