Author Topic: West Ham School of Building  (Read 900 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
West Ham School of Building
« on: 22 April, 2018, 05:19:23 PM »
Hi, I remember attending West Ham School of Building, not sure of the year but it must have been early 50s.
Not sure why, but I  was then transfered to East Ham Tech in Arragon Rd.
I cant even remember where it was, can anybody fill me in with some info?
Kenm.
« Last Edit: 25 April, 2018, 11:26:33 AM by KenM »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: West Ham School of Building
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »
Ken, According to my Google research, it was located in the former Russell Central School in Queens Road, which used to be directly opposite Carter Road Bridge.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »
Hi Mick, sorry my mind is a complete blank about that area.
I recall cycling past some bomb debris on my from home in Custom Hse, that is about all.
Kenm

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2018, 03:41:55 PM »
Hello Ken, You might find the links below helpful if you copy and past the into your browser.

Both links are to Ordnance Survey maps. The first shows the West Ham Country School of Building by name.
In the second link, the building has been renamed the Lister County Technical School but it is probably a better map for helping you get your bearings.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102909838

https://maps.nls.uk/view/103196473

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2018, 11:13:59 AM »
Hi MickG, thanks for the links, I will have to put my thinking cap on & have a good look at the maps.
kenm.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »
I wonder if that's the same building that I used to attend. In 1967 I began work at Newham Welfare Dept which was in the converted fire station by the Town Hall. All newcomers were encouraged to study for further O levels and each pass guaranteed a raise in our weekly wage.
It was a day release scheme and myself and a couple of other girls used to go to West Ham Station and the College was nearby. We had to walk under a bridge and along a secluded road (very scary in the Winter) to the College. It was a large old fashioned building and was probably a school at one time.
There were other students there from various Newham departments and also boys taking various practical courses.
I don't remember the name of the road but Manor Road is in the back of my mind. I have noticed what I think is the same building when I have been on the Tube. Will have to get off and take a look sometime.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
Hi Linda, the building to the best of my recollection, was 2 floors & constructed in  form of a quadrangle.
The ground central area of the floor was planted to shrubs, with the upper floor having a balcony overlooking the planted area, the classrooms were located on the outer elevation. A bad description but it may trigger memories.
As a poorly paid apprentice I resented having to pay for the drawing paper for technical drawing lessons.
Kenm.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2018, 03:10:16 PM »
Hi Ken,
It doesn't sound like the same building. Ours was the Victorian type like the old schools were housed in. A very big building with I think just one floor above the ground floor. The classrooms were quite large with high ceilings. It was similar to most of the schools I remember visiting when I was in the netball team at Vicarage Lane East Ham.
It would be interesting if anyone knows what it was called before it became West Ham Technical College.

Best wishes
Linda

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2018, 03:51:33 PM »
Hi Linda, I would not be surprised if it was demolished after I was transfered to East Ham Tech.
Although a faily modern building it was adjacent to bomb sites & very old war damaged terraced housing, the site was ripe for redevelopment.
Kenm.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2018, 04:39:04 PM »
Hi MickG, The link that you kindly provided, on Plan 51/4083 SE clearly shows West Ham School Of Building,
Another mystery of my past is solved, thanks to your research.
Kenm.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
Linda, There are three schools within walking distance of West Ham Station. All of them are Victorian looking. Of the three, two of them have three floors but one of them in Gainsborough Road has only two floors. The Gainsborough Road one also has an adult learning centre attached and sounds the most likely candidate

If you paste the link below into your browser you can view it on Google Maps

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5246462,0.0071457,3a,78.8y,354.29h,98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMGifisPJ9dpvE8sd7QSFbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2018, 10:28:38 PM »
Thank you Mick for the link. Yes Gainsborough Road is the one. I can visualise now walking along Manor Road to the College. Thank you for bringing that memory back to me.
Linda

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »
 Ken ,Mick and Linda,
In 1964 during the end of my Apprenticeship I wastransfered from the South East Tech in Barking to East Ham College of Building, which was housed in a then modern looking building opposite the Swimming bathes in High St Nth . This was a day release course from my work in the Docks , and in keeping with the syllabus had to also do 2 nights evening classes at another school Arragon Rd , this was off the
Barking Rd about 3 roads down from the Boleyn , a very victorian 3 story school same as the my first school in Barking .
Most of the Carpenter Joiner apprentices went to these Colleges , but those in the Shipping trade were at a disadvantage in as much that some of the syllabus was civil engineering carpentry which was all greek to us .

All the best Ed

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
Hi Ed
You were kept busy with both day and evening classes! I remember the Technical College in High St South. It was opposite the Welfare Dept where I worked. When I was at school they ran Saturday craft classes in there where we tried our hand at pottery and art. My sister worked in the offices in there in the 70s.
I did an evening class in shorthand at the other Tec building in the Barking Road next to the Central Hall.
In those days most youngsters did day release and evening classes but not so sure that many do now.
Hope all is well with you and the family.

Best wishes
Linda

Offline Andy C

• Lived in Liverpool Road from 1948 to 1977.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »
Hi Ed,
I also attended Arragon Road starting there in 1964 for 5 years, I was an apprentice with the old North Thames Gas Board. Our time there was on a block release system, 4 to 6 weeks at a time and our workshops were on the ground floor, canteen on the top floor. We also attended the main technical college in High Street South, next to the police station, for science and associated subjects, plus once a week mandatory gym in the old building next to the town hall.

Best wishes  Andy