Author Topic: Silvertown & North Woolwich  (Read 534 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Silvertown & North Woolwich
« on: 21 April, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
Until recent years, little appears to have changed in North Woolwich and Silvertown in the intervening 60 years between these picture. Apart for lorries replacing horses and tarmac replacing dirt and cobbles, the same houses and railway lines are still there. Except for those demolished in the Silvertown Explosion.

Now shipping has gone as has much of the heavy industry to be replaced by a airport, sporting and entertainment facilities. The 'island' as it was once known has now become an integral part of Newham again and the docks once taboo to enter except for those that worked there can now be strolled around. It is difficult to imagine from these pictures that a cable car would eventually link the area to south of the river. Traffic hold-ups caused by the 'bridgers' as they were once known, are now becoming a distant memory thanks to upgraded link roads.

North Woolwich 1895

Silvertown 1965
« Last Edit: 22 April, 2018, 01:44:59 AM by MickG »

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
Re: Silvertown & North Woolwich
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2018, 08:05:15 PM »
Hi Mick, thanks for the pics. I have always had a sft spot for the area. My first job was at Tate & Lyles, Thames Wharf. I later worked at the RHM Premier mill in Victoria Docks and at Cross & Blackwells, Tay Wharf.

I had quite a few boozy sessions in the Jubilee Tavern which I believe is long gone now.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »
Mick ,
      Iv'e seen these photos a few times , and have to say I think the dates a mixed up , the bottom photo I would say is Nth Woolwich taken from one of the new Blocks of flats named after Shipping lines one of which was Shaw house after Shaw Savills I remember these being built , so that this leaves us with the Silvertown one much earlier before my time , could be Vic Dock rd or Albert Rd or Nth Woolwich rd , over to you Mick   
 All the best Ed

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »
Ed, I have been trying to identify the location looking at old Ordnance survey maps. Striking visual landmarks are what appears to be a school in the foreground and the road layout. The only place I can identify as meeting this criteria is Kennard St. That would make the road immediately in front of the camera to be Newland Street. If that proves to be correct, then the long road on the right running alongside the dock wall would be Drew Road.

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »
Hi Mick

I agree with you. It is almost certainly Kennard Street in the foreground. If you look carefully you can just make out St marks spire in the middle distance.

Biff