Author Topic: Terry Spinks M.B.E.  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Mike Baines

• What a pretty picture!!
    • View Profile
Terry Spinks M.B.E.
« on: 09 July, 2008, 06:59:49 PM »
Schoolboy Boxing Champion.
A.B.A. Champion.
Olympic Champion.
British Champion.
Now over 70.
Great boxer.
Gercha!

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Spinks M.B.E.
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:37:24 PM »
The is a book about Terry Spinks, the Olympic Gold Medalist from Canning Town. It is 'East End Idol' by by Bob Lonkhurst, published by BL Associates in 2002.

Offline Mike Baines

• What a pretty picture!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:17:59 AM »
Had that since Day 1, I know Bob Lonkhurst.  My copy is signed by Terry.  I was at his M.B.E. party at York Hall so I also have the souvenir brochure signed plus autographs of Dick McTaggart, Ken Buchanan, John H Strachy and Chris Finnigan.  A wonderful truly East End night.
Gercha!

Offline E6hammer

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »
is there any mention of a fellow boxer ron jones,he used to live near me in east ham and he fought terry back in 1962.Terry won a points decision and my friend ron was there with terry in the newham recorder when he was honoured.
I would love to have a programme of this fight if anyone as one they want to part with it was at west ham baths.

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »
Yes there is a mention of the Terry Spinks v Ron Jones fight in the book 'East End Idol' on pages 180-182. Can't help with the programme I'm afraid but it's worth looking on Ebay as these things do turn up from time to time.

Kathy
« Last Edit: 12 July, 2009, 11:26:38 AM by Kathy Taylor »

Offline E6hammer

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2009, 01:41:01 PM »
thanks kathy i will look into that.My dad was born in canning town and the majority of the family still live there you might know the surname allen.

Offline Leslie

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:18:43 AM »
Dear E6hammer, I use to have a beer with a Ron Jones and his wife Maureen in the Burnell Arms { no longer open I believe}, They use to live off Burgess Rd  E6 down the bottom end , would this be the same Ronnie?, Leslie

Offline E6hammer

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
Thats right les yes it was.
They moved away 2 years ago and i recently got to see maureen and their daughter, as a dear friend of ours passed away and they were at the funeral.
Ron was sadly not there but they said he was doing well and how he is missing east ham.
Did you ever know davy jones to.
Best wishes les

Offline Leslie

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »
Dear E6hammer, I cannot put my finger on Davy Jones, & I did'nt know that Maureen & Ron had moved, Hayley was the daughters name, and i'm sorry to hear about Ron not being up to scratch, if you do see them pass on my regards, many thanks Les.

Offline E6hammer

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »
les i will send my regards,and by the way you said the burnell is no longer open,did you know the other week it was set on fire and now is a pile of rubble.
it is no longer there at all.
shame
take care les