Author Topic: Toys  (Read 1122 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Toys
« on: 28 March, 2018, 01:14:54 PM »
A toy which I had many hours fun with was Meccanno, there was no end of things that could be made & then modified & the pieces lasted for yonks.
Leggo seems to have taken its place, these little clickable plastic bricks dont have the same appeal.
Are there any Meccanno builders who can recall the small strips of painted metal & the tiny nuts & bolts that were forever getting lost?
kenm

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Re: Toys
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2018, 11:54:03 AM »
Used to love Meccano but I think my parents used to despair of buying "add ons" to improve the sets and allow bigger things to be built. Too old to have Lego but remember having a "Bayko Building Set" that used to allow you to design and build houses and other buildings.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2018, 02:06:41 PM »
I was once given a small Meccano set for Christmas. My grandiose visions of building a large crane that used to be on adverts soon came to an abrupt end as the basic kit did not allow too much to be made from it. I found the nuts and bolts a little fiddly even for small hands and even when properly tightened, they seemed to have a life of their own and come undone again.

I always remember as a kid seeing advert of a boy holding a small trowel and toy bricks to build a small house but I cannot remember what it was called.

Offline Laramie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »
Mick I think it might have been Brickplayer.That’s what husband thinks! Put that on web and there are some pictures and a little trowel. I remember something where you had red and white bricks and some green bits,but not sure that was the same.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
Laramie, Many thanks for that. I have been racking my brains for ages trying to recall the name. When I have spoken about it to friends I just get blank looks which means they have probably completely forgotten it.

I always hoped I would get a kit for Christmas but I never did.

Offline Laramie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »
Glad to have been of help.The one I was thinking of was Bayko.Picture of it on the same web page.Didn’t think spelling was correct.
John , my husband didn’t own Brickplayer,but remembers playing with it at a friends.
Obviously you and John were deprived! Bet it was very expensive at the time.

Offline Laramie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
Doug as you can see I remembered Bayko.Didn’t see your memory before I posted that on Mick’s message.
Do you remember the pantograph? Still available now,but I remember how disappointed I was when I opened that.I also had a gyroscope,which I enjoyed playing with.More of a boy’s toy.

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2018, 08:50:02 AM »
Wow that picture took me back. I did have this as a kid but had long forgotten it. I think the arrival of my skalextrics took my mind off of construction toys.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
Bob L, you were lucky to get your hands on Scalectrix, dads used to make a takeover bid.

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
Hi Ken

I know what you mean but there was no dad at the time. I did have an enthusiastic uncle. He tipped off my mum and future stepdad about an American firm that made cars that fit scalextric but were much more powerful. I got two for Christmas and was the happiest kid in the street. I wish I could remember the name.They were bought at Craftex in Leytonstone High Road.

Does anybody remember Craftex? They had two shops, close together. If memory is correct one was model railways and motor racing the other was construction kits, airfix etc. It was my idea of heaven.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #10 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
Bob, I found a web page, (link below), that may help you find the manufacturer of your beloved Scalectrix type car.

It's about the history of 'Slot Cars' with lots of makers names mentioned. Amongst the American ones are Aurora, Strombecker, A.C. Gilbert, Eldon Industries and Revell

http://www.slotcarhistory.com/slot_car_history3.htm

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 April, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »
Hi Mick

Thanks for the link. This is really interesting stuff. I had no idea that the hobby was so big and so worldwide. The only one that rings a bell is Aurora. I do however remember them advertising in American comics so I may be confused.

Offline JOHNL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »
i had a slot car racing set in the beginning of the 60,s.it was not a scalextric,but i cant remember the make.it had 2 cars a vanwall and a cooper climax.i wondered if anyone recognises it?
another one moves from london!

Offline burnsy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 May, 2018, 04:15:24 PM »
'Minic Motorways' perhaps? Triang's version of Scalextric.

Offline JOHNL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 May, 2018, 10:53:06 PM »
Thanks,it turned out to be the"vip raceway"made by victory industries of guildford.
another one moves from london!