Author Topic: Shipman Rd School  (Read 2623 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Re: Shipman Rd School
« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »
Hi Harry, I cannot recall the name Davos, but then my old grey cells have gone into retirement mode.
Several of my family were Lightermen, on the Thames, a well paid & sought after job, if a little dangerous at times.
Another blast from the past is Andy Nelson, to tackle him in playground football was a no,no, he was a big lump who did not take prisoners.
kenm.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »
Hi Ken Davos was a nickname his surname was Davey as you probably know most of us had nicknames!!mine was izzles ( Isles) a few others were Winkle Waite ,Prof Bavins ,Ginger Wynne ,Big Bill Tinton, Tubby Moakes ,   
Reginald Talbot Skinny,  Harry(Monty) Funnel.
Do em Dodds ,Choppem Chapple ,.On the subject of the River Roding where it ran round the back of Butterfields Factory it was a good source of drift wood that I suppose fell off of timber barges down stream both hardwood and softwood.
I got enough softwood to build an ten by six foot shed using a makeshift grappling hook to haul the timber from the River brought  up by the tide. Regards Harry .I.
« Last Edit: 20 August, 2018, 11:54:15 AM by harry »

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:58:54 AM »
Hi Harry, obviously listening to Mr Davey playing his violin sent me into a trance, as I cannot recall any of those nicknames.
I wonder what else skipped my attention during those golden years?
kenm.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 August, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »
Hi Harry, were you one of the lucky ones who transferred to Ashburton school for several terms?
Mr Davey's class was housed in the concrete modular building located in the corner of the playground adjacent to Russel Rd & Freemasons Rd, where most of our lessons were taught. Mr Davey was the only teacher that we ever saw, the headmaster never showed his face so it was discipline with a light touch. As we all respected Mr Davey & didnt want to rock the boat, it was good while it lasted.
kenm.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »
Hi Ken I went Ashburton School straight from Rosetta Road school and was ensconced in one of the prefabricated classrooms in the corner by Freemasons road and Russel Road my teacher at that time was Mr Beswetherwick ( spelling could be wrong) stayed there for a couple of terms then there was the big shift to Shipman Road . Prior to moving from Rosetta I spent three months in Switzerland and the headmastewr one Mr Hart decided that I did,nt get any grading marks so on arrival I had for the firs t couple of days gradually working my way through the various grades according to my ability quite embarrising really moving quickly from class to class. Thinking back on it I should have mentioned all this to my fatherwho I am sure would have put a bee in Harts Ear [a good right hander no doupt!!! ].I know mr hart was a very vindictive person and would liked to have  met him when I was a little older and not the fragile little kid that I was at the time. Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 August, 2018, 03:48:30 PM »
Hi Harry,  I remember Mr Beswethick, a big fella who was handy with the cane. You must have been in the other half of the same prefab classroom.
On moving to Shipman Rd I kept in Mr Davey class until leaving school which suited me because I thought him a good teacher.
I believe that he taught all subjects, other than science, (Mr White) & RK (Mr Keene) oh & PT with Mr Baron.
I do wonder why more of the Shipman Rd pupils have not appeared on the Newham story  forum.
kenm.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 August, 2018, 12:06:50 PM »
Hi Ken there we go again Mr Keene,s  nickname was Kipper because he always appeared to be dozing off during his R K lessons along with most of the class.
I later learned that the class that Mr White took science, was taken by Mr Dines who was our woodwork teacher.I take it that you remember the small Bee hive he built in the woodwork room with the glass front so that we could all see the Bees at work .
I believe that Mr dines was an expert on Apiary and wrote various articles on that subject.
Regards Harry.I.
« Last Edit: 28 August, 2018, 12:09:52 PM by harry »

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 August, 2018, 05:23:06 PM »
Hi Harry,
I can remember dozing off during RK, Mr Keene said nothing to keep us awake.
Mr Dines was my Carpentry teacher, but no bees when I was there.
Mr White, Science teacher sadly went blind just after I left school, I recall that there was a collection for his retirement, a very unusual occurrence, but he was a very popular teacher.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 August, 2018, 01:56:54 PM »
Hi Ken I believe  you must have a blank in your memory bank because we were in the same class at that time and there was definitely a single cone Beehive built in the end of the woodwork room with an inlet built up to an airbrick for the Bees to enter the hive.  Some times Bees would come into the classroom through a window or door and Mr Dines would show us ,kind gentleman that he was, how to pick up a Bee from the back so that you would not get stung and I think that Roy Barnard was the only lad brave enough to try.
In the front of the hive was a small trap door to put the stray Bees back into the Hive.   Mr Peirce was the other woodwork teacher  I don,t think he was as good as Mr Dines !!.Regards Harry . I. { come on where are all the other posters?? do any of the watchers ever post??}

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 August, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
Hi Harry, it is a mystery about the bee hive in woodwork class, I have no recollection of this time, I must keep taking the tablets.
I do agree that Mr Dines was the more popular teacher, Mr Pierce taught the girls & wasnt as easy going.
I well remember making a clothes horse & being asked to pay for the wood.
Great days, happy memories of some good  friends.
ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 August, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
Hi Ken perhaps this might help with the old memory the Hive was to the left of the fire place and it had trunking made to go up the wall to an air brick into the boys toilet where the Bees had access to the Hive.
Can you remember at the end of the woodwork class having to stand by the bench and Mr Dines walking down the benches looking at the tool rack checking that every thing was in its place and the tool that was mostly missing and was suddenly found was the marking knife.
The best item I made was an Oak needle work box that had a Beeswax finish which when finished pleased my Nan no end and was put to good use for many years.
The first items we made in class were a Pot stand and a tea pot stand the pot stand was to use half lap joints and the tea pot stand was to use three pieces of timber glued together to make the top.
I had to buy the hinges and lock for the needlework box the Oak surprisingly was free!!.
Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 August, 2018, 12:18:52 PM »
Hi Harry, it gets worse, I cant recall anything about the bee hive or the tool check at end of class.
However I do have a clear image of Miss Tozer in my mind, why do you think that is?
ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 August, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
Hi Ken As far as Miss Tozer goes I feel its the old one track mind which never gets out of gear don,t matter how old and crotchety you get once seen never forgotten!!!. Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 August, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
Hi Harry, Mr Davey gave his class an autograph book & on the day we left were given time to collect other teachers names, so off we charge down the corridor, do you know where, yes we were all lined up outside of Miss Tozers classroom door.
ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 September, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »
Hi Ken Those were the days when your body was changing and your brain was moving southward!!!
Regards Harry.I.