Author Topic: Barking to Beckton Light Railway  (Read 1015 times)

Offline jplant1

• View Profile
Barking to Beckton Light Railway
« on: 21 February, 2018, 05:00:35 PM »
The Barking, East Ham & Ilford Advertiser, Upton Park and Dagenham Gazette - Saturday 28 January 1905 has a report of traffic on the Barking to Beckton Light Railway. Does anybody know anything about this railway?

Offline Laramie

• View Profile
Re: Barking to Beckton Light Railway
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2018, 07:53:37 PM »
If you look on britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
There is reference to it and about the building of it.You can have 3 free searches

Offline Robert Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:37:43 AM »
I gets a mention in an Item on the Newham History Society Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/notes/newham-history-society/west-and-east-ham-tram-system/1904965799738028/

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2018, 05:13:36 PM »
Now I know it was a tramway system as opposed to a railway system, I have been able to locate a photograph of a tram crossing the Barking Bascule Bridge.

Barking Bascule Bridge

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2018, 09:29:35 PM »
Mick you don't mention the location ,looking at the width of the  river I would think it would be near the Townend of the Roding at Barking somewhere near the By pass crossing on the A13 . Further down stream towards Creekmouth the river widens . Interesting Item .

All the best Ed

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2018, 01:07:32 AM »
Hello Ed, There was no indication as to the precise location of the bridge when I found the photograph. However I have now found a site that gives OS grid reference as well and when I click on the link, a map open up pointing directly at the current bridge at the Barking Road/London Road crossing.

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
Unfortunately there still appears to be a problem with posting photos so I can't attach a map. The tramway seems to have branched off the main system at the junction of North St, East St & The Broadway. Going down The Broadway into Gascoigne Rd then turning right into Boundary Rd The bridge  over Barking Creek / Roding was slightly west of the junction of Abbey Road and Boundary Road. Both roads seem to have survived the re-development but no longer meet at a junction. If you go to the link below the bridge is about halfway down the map on the right hand side. Once across the creek the tramway continued more or less southerly until it met Jenkins Lane then followed this to its terminus immediately to the north of the sewer bank.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/104194809

Biff

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2018, 01:59:27 AM »
Biff, Many thanks for the link to the Ordnance Survey map showing the actual location of this bridge. It is much further south than had been shown on another website.

Once the tram crossed the bridge into East Ham, it was virtually in the middle of a wilderness.