Author Topic: Milton Avenue Bomb Site  (Read 703 times)

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Milton Avenue Bomb Site
« on: 08 February, 2018, 07:39:17 PM »
Just after ther war, all the local kids played on the bomb site, opposite Cowper Ave., one day I and my best mate Colin Biggs found an incendiary bomb, completely unaware if it was live or not, being good citizens we decided to take it to East Ham police station, people in the street for some reason gave us a wide berth. At the station we put it on the counter, the desk Sargent nearly died, I can say what he said when we asked him if we could have it in 6 months time if no one claimed it! 

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
Re: Milton Avenue Bomb Site
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2018, 08:43:07 PM »
When I had an old bakers oven removed in a shop near Dunmow, Essex 1989ish. The builder came running out, all of a tiswos, because he'd found two wartime incendiary bombs tucked inside the cavity. He refused to carry on working unless they was removed. When I told the previous owner, he was so unconcerned and came and picked them up and took them away. Where he took or disposed of them. I don't know. Apparently, when he was a kid he and mates scoured a few fields looking for the ones that had burnt out! Nearly fifty years had past when they had dropped! He restarted work, but not until they where removed!