Author Topic: green grocers in leys road.  (Read 1191 times)

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
green grocers in leys road.
« on: 29 September, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »
Please correct me if i am wrong, but there was a greengrocers in leys road,  i think called called toungates,
and like many green grocers then, you could buy the usual fruit and veg, i seem to remember seeing runner beans not necessarily straight, and carrots some had peculiar shapes to them, even potatoes some were almost freaks of nature in their shapes, but , and despite their appearances many mums bought them together with apples that had specks in them , how ever nothing was wasted and all ended up in the pot,

now that we are supposedly on our way out from brexit who then insisted that all vegetables were straight  and fruit had to be almost perfectly round and the shapes too were under scrutiny , so once were under our own control i imagine the return of wonky and misshaped fruit, and veg, will make the occasional come back, and i don't think too many people will be that concerned as long as you can peel it and eat it,

Q; have you any thoughts of then, and now,and  the way we used to buy and eat our fruit and veg,

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: green grocers in leys road.
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2017, 05:19:07 PM »
HI Georgian.
I don't think  much will change in regards to wonky veg..  im afraid the ways of the EU  are  firmly intrenched  in the  youngsters of today , They don't know any different,, They have been brought up  .. Or you could say  brainwashed into thinking that history started in 1972 when we joined..

I don't remember the greengrocers that you mention... But I remember forest the greengrocers near the reck.. because he allways tried to short change you ..

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
Yes there was a greengrocers in Leys Rd named, Tungates. The shop was close to Tommys the snobs, or should I say shoe repairer.
kenm.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »
I heard there was once a shoe repairer in the east end who repaired a pair of shoes for the King and afterwards thought  it would be a good advert for his shop to have an appointment notice that he had done some work for royalty so he put up a sign saying cobblers to the king but the police came round and made him remove it!!!.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
Harry, nice to see you back on line & retaining the  unique cockney  sense of humour.
The Newham Forum has gone to sleep, maybe your jokes will raise them from their slumbers.
kenm.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
an old uncle of mine unfortunately passed away and while going through his effects found a ticket  for a pair of brown brogue  shoes which I always liked .
But the date on the ticket was twenty years ago so was a little out of date anyway I thought I would go to the shoe repairers to see if he still had them and after rummaging through his stock room he came back to say that he had found them and that they would be ready next Wednesday !!!.
regards Harry I .

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
Harry, you are full of them, keep it up.
kenm