Author Topic: Want to know about West Ham greyhound/speedway stadium  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Jason Steele

• View Profile
Want to know about West Ham greyhound/speedway stadium
« on: 21 September, 2017, 08:08:07 PM »
My name is Jason and I live down in Brighton. For the last 25 years I have been infatuated with the old Custom house stadium. I am currently making a model of the main double decker stand and once finished will display it somewhere in Newham. I am crying out for any info on the arena as it all helps. I have a wealth of knowledge on it and vast collection of photo's, but I am always looking out for more. Please if anyone can help it would be great. Photos of the inside of the stand are so rare that I am struggling to finish the model. Once I find out how to post photos on here I will put the pictures of it on here for all to see. Loving the site, can't stop reading!! Jason

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Want to know about West Ham greyhound/speedway stadium
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »
Welcome Jason.. & good luck with your project.

Offline CundyRoad

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:10:28 PM »
If it's any help - greyhound tales.

Sherry's Prince was a top class hurdle of the early 1970s.  Trained by Colin West, he was based at West Ham and I'm sure I'm right in saying he was never defeated there. 

He won three consecutive Grand Nationals at London's White City stadium. His best performance. apart from winning the finals was in the semi-final of his third win. He got his tail caught in the fence near the first bend and lost the tip.  Despite this, his hurdling talent and overall speed was far superior to the other 5 dogs that he still beat 4 of them home to finish 2nd, beaten just over two lengths by Adamstown Valley,  who was probably the second best  hurdler in the country at the time.

I recall a 'Gala Card' at West Ham one night with 12 races.  I can't remember the name of one single greyhound, but trap 1 was second in the first 8 races. 

On one Cesarewitch Final night at West Ham the hot favourite was Dolores Rocket at 10/11 and the second favourite was Seamans Star.  'Dolly' put paid to her chances by breaking very slowly,  and Seamans Star got badly bumped round the first two bends, which left the 'pacemakers' Whisper Billy and Sir Joe (if I recall the two names correctly) clear of the field. Their starting prices were so large  that when they crossed the winning line in first and second place, the packed stadium was almost silent as they were virtually unbacked with the bookies or on the tote.

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2018, 07:18:01 PM »
In the late 1950's A mate 'introduced' me to dog racing. I remember Heavyweight Protege, the biggest dog I had ever seen. If it was raining then you bet him to win, if it was dry, you didn't touch him. In the wet he dug in and flew round the track whilst the rest skidded on the surface. Sorry Jason, not any help to you, but you brought back memories