Author Topic: Carole Landis  (Read 677 times)

Offline Jason Steele

• View Profile
Carole Landis
« on: 18 September, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »
Hi to all the fellow West Ham Speedway Fans. Unfortunately the stadium was demolished before I was born but I have been a massive collector of anything to do with the grand old stadium. The date that Carole Landis attended was 8th October 1947. Riders competed for the Landis cup that was won by Les Wootton. I don't know if it was a second half event after a league match or a full 20 heat individual meeting.  She was in London filming her movie 'Brass Monkey'. Unfortunately she took her own life in 1948 by overdosing. Very sad indeed. You can actually purchase the photo of her riding on the back with Les Wootton( which Robert mentioned was in an old program) and you can also
purchase a photo of her watching the action in the West Ham restaurant /bar!. There is a world of stuff available out there on the web if you know where to look!! Jason

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Carole Landis
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
HI Jason ..
Welcome to the forum . When you mention Robert,, I presume you mean Robert Rodgers..
I lived near the west ham track in PR lane ..
I onley attended twice . Once in the last race in 1939 ..& then in 1945 when the war ended ..

I remember it was Tiger Stevenson & Bluey Wilkinson were racing .. it was a bit noisy on race meeting nights ..
Shame the track has gone & our memories with it ..
RON.