Author Topic: w.w.2 bombs are we really safe ??  (Read 734 times)

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
w.w.2 bombs are we really safe ??
« on: 03 September, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »
Todays news said of large scale evacuation in Frankfurt , due to a w.w.2 bomb being found, i wonder being as many planes on both sides of the channel missed their targets and others actually dropped bombs into the channel before returning to base,  so my thoughts extended them selves to the royal group of docks, say in the Victoria. albert, king George the 5th,  as they were all that time  ago ..does any one know if  any or many bombs were found in the early bombing days of w.w.2

if so we can only hope all have been recovered, where as the Thames and English channel could still have unknown quantities yet to be found,

Q; do you have any thoughts on how safe are we really, ??  it makes you think,.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: w.w.2 bombs are we really safe ??
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2017, 03:49:12 PM »
Georgian, It's an interesting point about undiscovered bombs. I personally suspect there must still be a great deal of them waiting to be discovered. To illustrate this point nearer to my home in Somerset there is a large nuclear power station under the initial stages of construction at Hinckley Point. Part of the construction process requires a off beach survey of the sea bed and four unexploded bombs have been found in the past three weeks alone. The location itself was not a military target during the war but probably bombers aiming for Bristol and its docks ditched them in the Bristol Channel if they encountered problems.

I know one of the problems with bombs is they can burrow themselves very deep and they do not go in a straight line when they hit the ground. A bomb can be a considerable distance from the point of entry. Another problems is all this ordnance is now aging. Apparently in Belgium they find dangerous old shells on old WW1 battle grounds quite frequently. Apparently the fuses become brittle with age which makes them more dangerous. I would not be surprised if for the next few countries unexploded bombs keep turning up.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Re: w.w.2 bombs are we really safe ??
« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2017, 10:18:03 PM »
What about the famous unexploded bombs on the S.S. Richard Montgomary sunk in the Thames estuary 1944 ,they say there are still 1.500 tons of bombs aboard and if it were to explode could take Canvey ,Sheppy and Gravesend with it and also cause a mini Tsunami ,you can still see the Masts above the water sticking out .

Ed