Author Topic: understanding the past history of newham ,.  (Read 1757 times)

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
understanding the past history of newham ,.
« on: 24 August, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »
For new forum members either living in or simply having recently joined the forum might have a problem why trying to understand the stories of Newham and the dock area's probably before some of them might have been born,

as forum members we recall times of our past and mentioning places of interest to which many have either been knocked down or immersed in redevelopment particularly when seeing Newham today which for people such as my self are in places unrecognisable ,

much like trying to explain directions to a person who hasnt been to that area before, i wonder if the forum has photos of then in the past and now since  re development showing the differences , for new people living in Newham some would have a problem if say how the docks then were situated , and the hive of many factories long gone but then were a major source of  employment which involve many thousands of jobs then,

Q; have you any  ideas as to how we can create new interests in Newham in a bygone age as old photos wont mean much to new people just moving into the area, , what are your thoughts,

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: understanding the past history of newham ,.
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
I notice you still cant post any photos..

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
Hi Georgian

Thanks for this post, it is, I think an important one. I am Newham born and bred, as is my Mother and three of my grandparents. As such its' history and those surviving photo's are deeply meaningful.  I have however found ancestors ranging from Limehouse to Yorkshire, and Essex to Manchester.
Each place, as I discover the connection becomes alive, a little bit of me was made there. It is then the duty of all communities to preserve their heritage and to make that knowledge available.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
Newham Council do have their own photograph archive with prints for sale at  http://www.newhamphotos.com

Below is a good example showing a aerial photograph of Silvertown and the Royal Docks in 1935. Custom House is to the left (north) and all the industries that lined the area between North Woolwich Road/Albert Road and the River Thames can be seen on the right.

The picture below is not a copied one, but is being displayed through an invisible window in this message, which directly looks at the Newham Photos site.

Unfortunately it is still not possible at the moment to upload pictures but hopefully that will be resolved in the future as well as the size limitation. At the moment to display a picture like the one below does require access to a picture which is already on the internet and a little programming know how on how to do it.

« Last Edit: 20 September, 2017, 05:27:43 PM by MickG »

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »
Hi Mick,
there you go again blinding me with science ,what's this invisible window malarky , me know understandee , oh love the photo though .
Allthe best Ed

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2019, 12:21:08 PM »
This aerial picture of Royal Docks taken in 1946 from the Britain from Above website kills two birds with one stone. On one hand for those that either worked in the docks, or are interested in Newham's Industrial history, it shows just how busy the docks were with shipping in the immediate post-war years. For those of us with grandchildren, one can show just how busy the docks really were.

The other feature of this picture is the site of KenM's long await query about the barrage balloon on Vernon's Fields. The Blue marker on the top right of the picture expands when using the  Britain for Above website to reveal the words, "WW2 Anti-Aircraft Landing Deterrent Ditch and Mound". Provided Ken knew where this was located, he should be able to triangulate the position of the barrage balloon.

(scroll right to reveal more image)

Royal Dock 1946 (https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW000056) required copyright usage licence

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2019, 08:54:51 AM »
Hi All

If the location on the Britain from Above website is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it, then I estimate the centre of the cross
is pretty much on the eastern boundary of what is now Calverton Primary School.