Author Topic: I'm not peculiar  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Benton

• New to the board
    • View Profile
I'm not peculiar
« on: 21 August, 2017, 10:48:41 PM »
But apparently my family are!

I began researching my family tree 2 weeks ago based on a few names we had from my maternal grandmother before she passed away.
I knew that her family came from Silvertown and she said that they lived at 4 Benton Road. I always wondered about a possible connection with their name and the name of the road (both were Benton). I have struggled to find a reference to Benton Road - in fact I have found it mentioned just once.

Anyway through my exciting research I have discovered that my great, great grandfather was an elder in the religious sect called the Peculiar People. I have bought a book, written in the 70's about The Peculiars and it details the death of my great, great grandmother.

My g.g grandfathers name was John Benton and my g.g grandmothers name was Rosina Horsnell (Horsnail).

I just wondered if anyone else had found a familial link to the Peculiars and does anyone know anything of Benton Road?

My mothers cousin was told a story by his father about how the road came to be known as Benton Road.

Apparently one day my great grandfather or my great great grandfather was in one of his haulage trucks with a driver and the brakes failed.
The driver panicked and jumped out of the van leaving my grandfather in the passenger seat. He managed to et control of the vehicle and steer it into the kerb - thus diverting a huge accident (they were carrying sulphuric acid) anyway that's how the road came to be named after him.

I am heading to the Newham Achieves on Thursday afternoon to find some more information about my g.g grandfathers  business and hopefully the location and story behind Benton Road.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
Re: I'm not peculiar
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
Hello Benton and welcome to the Forum.
Thank you for sharing your very interesting family history with us. I love doing my family history and have also discovered lots of interesting facts. Some of which I'm sure my ancestors would wish to remain secret!
Good luck at Newham Archives and I hope you manage to find out more about your great great grandfathers business. It would be lovely if you could share what you discover as I'm sure the members on here would be interested to know what you find.
Best wishes
Linda

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum Benton.  I must admit that I have no idea where Benton Road Silvertown was situated. As you are aware the area has undergone a tremendous amount of redevelopment since the end of the war but hopefully someone will be able to locate it for you. With regard to "The Peculiar People" I believe they were part of the Union of Evangelical Churches and there were quite a lot of congregations in the South Essex Area. I believe a number still exist today and one of those is listed as being at Canning Town.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
Hello Benton, Welcome to the board.

I have pasted a link below which will show an old Ordnance Survey map with Benton Road on it. It is a side-by-side map so you can easily see the present location. I also found a web reference to Benton Road in the 1945 voters list so it existed at that time, 2nd link.

I also found references to a John Benton in the 1896 Post Office Directory and the 1902 Kelly's Directory for 34 Oriental Road and 114 Oriental Road. Given that Benton was a very short road that came off Oriental Road, there is a good chance this person is related to your family. In both directories John Benton is described as a carman and contractor. A carman was what we would describe today as a lorry driver except it would have been horse and carts in those days. 3rd link.

There is also reference to a dissenters meeting in West Ham in 1672 in the house of a Benjamin Benton. 4th link.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=19&lat=51.5034&lon=0.0414&layers=173&right=BingHyb

http://www.abandonedcommunities.co.uk/silvertown3.html

http://pubshistory.com/Silvertown/Silvertown-1896Directory.shtml

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/essex/vol6/pp123-141