Author Topic: Why can't I post a photo?  (Read 122 times)

Offline linda co

• View Profile
Why can't I post a photo?
« on: 02 July, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
Is anyone else having problems posting a photo. When I go to post a photo the following message is shown. "The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved"
I never had any problems before the Forum closed down and I have been able to print the same photos on Facebook Memories of East Ham and Newham History Society without any trouble.

Thank you
Linda

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Why can't I post a photo?
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2017, 05:16:07 PM »
Linda, I am guessing but I get the same message if trying to add a picture to my profile as well as uploading a picture as an attachment. The site was down for a long time and has just been restored. The chances are is there are still a few bugs to be ironed out. The best solution is to pass the problem onto the site Admin so they can get their IT department to look at it.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »
Thank you Mick I'll ring Jenni at the Archives when they are open on Tuesday.
I expect that is why a lot of the old posts that had photo's attached aren't showing up. Will mention that to Jenni as well.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2017, 10:50:38 PM »
Mick has obviously been successful in posting photos since the site reopened. I tried to post a photo a few days ago but was unsuccessful. I thought it was because the size exceeded the limit of 192KB and I didn't have the time, or will, to reduce it. I had hoped that perhaps the size limit for photographs would have been increased to make life a bit easier.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2017, 11:10:27 PM »
I use the insert image command to post my pictures. The is the far left button of the middle row above the text box that appears when starting or replying to a topic. It also works in private messages too. The snag is the pictures have to already be online on a public website. You cannot upload from your home computer using this facility. I use my own website for this purpose.

The other snag is it does require a little rudimentary programming knowledge. It is not impossible as I was able to explain it all to Poppy who is now using the same facility for his pictures.

As strange as it may seem, when you look at a picture displayed in a topic, the picture actually is not in the message, nor is it stored on the Newham mainframe, it is still on the website where it is stored. The 'Insert Image' command through a little electronic wizardry opens a invisible window in the message and displays the image direct from the computer it is stored on.

The best analogy I can think of is it is similar to being in a room with a window that has writing on the wall. The writing on the wall is in the room but the view through the window is outside the room although you can see both at once.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2017, 04:40:59 PM »
Spoke to Jenni today. They are restricting photos being added to posts at the moment. Once the site is properly up and running we will be able to post our photos. Jenni will keep us informed.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
Thanks Linda.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:30:54 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »
Ron and Mick, that's ok, hopefully it will be sorted soon.