Author Topic: Balaam Street  (Read 1253 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Balaam Street
« on: 01 July, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
Balaam Street is one of the oldest streets in the borough. There is some dispute as to whether it was named after a local 12th century property owner named  Hamelin de Balun or a Walter Balame. Originally Balaam Street was something of a spinal road wending its way southwards from the hamlet of Plaistow towards the local marshes where it petered out where the Barking Road now crosses its end. With the construction of the Barking Road, Balaam Street came into greater prominence as a thoroughfare with more shops and housing springing up along its length.

A view of part of Balaam Stret.

Woodards Stores, 174 Balaam Street

Another section of Balaam Street.

Balaam Street School 1928

The original Plaistow Fire Station in Balaam Street, opened as a satellite station to the main one in Canning Town as the area rapidly grew  in the early 20th century.

« Last Edit: 01 July, 2017, 06:37:39 PM by MickG »

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Re: Balaam Street
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2017, 09:49:27 PM »
Never went to Balaam Street too much whilst living in Newham but my mother worked st the Advance Laundry Receiving Office in Balaam Street during the 1950s. Can only remember the shop was opposite the swimming baths and I think was just a single lock up shop with no upper floors.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2017, 11:36:06 AM »
I used to go to the swimming bathes every sunday morning in balaam st  when I was a kid.It was free in the small bathes.
Learnt to swim their. Great times.

Allso frequented the greyhound pub when I grew up.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2017, 06:17:32 PM »
Hi Ron
I used to have a Shant in the Greyhound Pub.
Also My Brother used to Work for The Curwen Press in the 1950s,quite a famous Printing Firm
Here is a Link.
http://curwenpress.com/index.php/about/history
« Last Edit: 02 July, 2017, 06:39:58 PM by poppy show »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »
Burke mixed secondary modern school, Plaistow, originated as Balaam Street board school, opened in 1897 for 1,556, as successor to the old Balaam Street school. On each floor it had a large central hall flanked by classrooms, to facilitate direct control by the head teachers. In 1930 it was reorganized for senior boys, senior girls, and infants, and renamed after Edmund Burke the statesman, who lived in Balaam Street for a short time. It became a mixed secondary modern school in 1945.

1952 Aerial view of Burke Secondary School (Complements of Britain from Above website).  West Ham Bus Garage right, Barbers Alley top, Balaam Street left

The pictures below shows Burke Secondary School during demolition in 1973. The wall at the rear of the school is West Ham Bus Garage.

« Last Edit: 27 February, 2019, 04:34:52 PM by MickG »

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2019, 12:07:48 PM »
A nice building with lots of character, shame,  I suppose it was replaced with a soul less slab.
Ken.

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2019, 04:39:35 PM »
Used to like swimming at Balaam St Baths. 2d half from Upton Lane on the 278 bus. I remember going for Polio vaccinations (by needle) in a clinic along Balaam St and the old cow that used to do them used to hold the needle up in front of you and squirt a bit out but you had seen what was to come and were petrified.