Author Topic: High Street, Stratford  (Read 3271 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: High Street, Stratford
« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
Poppy, Although Newham is now one council area, it has two parliamentary constituencies know as East Ham and West Ham. The geographic area and name of a parliamentary constituency is decided by the Boundary Commissioners and they try to ensure each constituency has approximately the same number of electors taking into account natural boundaries.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:34:03 PM »
TX Mick
So they did not fancy calling it West Newham and East Newham LOL ;D
poppy

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »
Another picture of High Street, Stratford. This particular section is located between Station Street to far left of the picture and Martin Street out of view to the right of the picture.

The Oak Public House is prominent in the foreground and the 3d & 6d store to the left of The Oak I think is an early Woolworth's store.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »
Hi  Could that Be Cookes Pie and Mash  next to the piano shop?
Poppy.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #19 on: 27 June, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »
A little more of High Street, Stratford this time in the form of Stratford Market Station. This station had experienced something of a chequered history first opening in 1846 running a service between Stratford and Canning Town which was extended to North Woolwich the following year, and later northwards to Palace Gates via Seven Sisters in 1887. The original station served Stratford Market. In 1892 the station, (the current one), was resited and services lasted until 1957 when the station closed due to lack of traffic. In more recent years the station was reopened and refurbished when it became part of the Docklands Light Railway (DLR).

Stratford Markey Railway Station after closure.

The rear side of the station looking towards High Street, Stratford.

A view along the deserted platforms.

Another view of the platforms.

Offline Graham Starling

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 June, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »
Hello Mick,

It’s great that the forum is now back and you’re making posts on it.

“Another part of the High Street although I am unsure of the exact location”.

I think I can identify those two buildings in High Street, Stratford of which you are not sure.  The one on the left is 409 (Williams Corn & Flour Merchant), the one on the right is 407 (Louis Breeze, Herbalist).  I believe the picture was taken some time in the 1890s.  All of the buildings to the right had been demolished to make way for the tram lines that were to be laid.  The street on the left is Chant Street.

All the best,

Graham

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #21 on: 29 June, 2017, 09:52:26 PM »
Graham, thanks for the information.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #22 on: 30 June, 2017, 04:41:02 PM »
This is very old picture of High Street, Stratford taken in 1890 prior to the demolition of buildings. The shadowy image of St. John's Church at Stratford Broadway can be seen in the distance.

Another group of shops with a Mansard roof in High Street, Stratford due for demolition.

Another section o the High Street, Stratford that once was.

« Last Edit: 30 June, 2017, 04:44:43 PM by MickG »

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 June, 2017, 06:20:06 PM »
I  remember Bonnalacs ...NO SURE OF THE SPELLING..the coach painters in the high st,

They painted buses coaches & lorries al by hand, paint  brushing. They were on the left just before bow bridge.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 July, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »

Hi Found This Map in my Archives.
Poppy
« Last Edit: 29 July, 2017, 10:46:00 AM by poppy show »

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 July, 2017, 08:20:54 PM »

Hi could this  possibly be the site of the old Roman road at Iceland Road Old Ford?
Poppy
« Last Edit: 02 July, 2017, 08:24:27 PM by poppy show »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #26 on: 21 July, 2017, 10:32:05 AM »
Most of the old buildings that used to line both sides of High Street, Stratford were demolished over the years as the area transformed itself. This picture is of the Fox & Hounds Public House formerly located at 18 High Street and stood approximately where todays John Wetherby Court is located.

Fox & Hounds, 18 High Street, Stratford.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #27 on: 01 March, 2019, 03:52:54 PM »
A aerial view of High Street, Stratford taken in 1952. I have split the picture into two sections, as justice is not done to the amount of detail in it if it were condensed into one picture.

Trolley buses can be clearly seen heading to and from Bow Bridge. The duelling of the High Street does not yet seem completed and there are views of buildings since demolished.

In the distance, Stratford Broadway, Angel Lane and the whole layout as far as Maryland Point can be seen. The start of Romford Road by Young and Martin is also visible on the right. In the far distance are Wanstead Flats, Leytonstone and Wanstead but they become a bit more hazier due to the distance involved.

High Street Stratford 1952 Complements of Britain from Above website.)

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 March, 2019, 08:55:26 PM »
Hi Mick , those  photos of stratford brought back memories i could see my old primary school bridge road, it shows the playground on the roof, i still recall watching the steam trains from the roof. Happy days around there then :)

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 March, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »
Hi  Mick Your story  re Ronan Point disaster brought back memories to me ,I believe the explosion took place at 6 o clock in the morning the reason  I remember the time was at that time a chap that lived opposite us in Varley road was painting the front of his house. After the explosion he  could be heard shouting to his  wife that the whole side of the flats had collapsed and within minutes fire engines could be heard rushing to the scene .And within minutes most of the neighbours were up and dressed standing in the road looking at the frightening site of the collapsed side of Ronan Point a sight hard to forget!!!.  Regards Harry.I.