Author Topic: High Street, Stratford  (Read 3270 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
High Street, Stratford
« on: 19 June, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »
High Street Stratford is possibly the oldest road in Newham. Running east to west from Stratford Broadway to Bow Bridge it was once part of the Roman road network connecting Londinium to Camulodunu, (modern day Colchester) and possibly in use as a track for centuries before.

Although High Street Stratford always looks the same, it has undergone many changes particularly in more modern history. I have added a few pictures of the High Street as it once was below, and will be adding more to this thread over time.

Yardley's Cosmetics before the more modern building replaced it.

Another part of the High Street although I am unsure of the exact location.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
Re: High Street, Stratford
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »
Alright Mick, nice to be back , i remember in the 1960s the old lady a few doors away who i used to call Nan told me when she was a little girl in the 1880s that there used to be a cattle market on Stratford Broadway.
Poppyshow.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »
Hello Poppy, Welcome back to the board.

That is interesting news about a cattle market at Stratford Broadway which I had not heard before. Looking at a old Ordnance Survey map, link below, the area of the Broadway immediately to the south of St John's Church look like it was wide enough for such a market.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=19&lat=51.5413&lon=0.0024&layers=163&right=BingHyb

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:28:24 PM »
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/essex/vol6/pp93-96
Hi Mick found a Mention here on Markets and fairs

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »
Thanks for the link Poppy, it looks like the cattle market was exactly where I guessed it would be. It's interesting that in the same article it mentions market stall springing up on the Broadway - High Street junction. That could well have been the origins of Angel Lane market.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »
This group of shops were located on High Street, Stratford between Livingstone Road, (now demolished), immediately to the left of the shops, and The Greenway, (Sewer Bank) which ran parallel to the flank wall of No. 189, Simkins & Son. This is directly opposite the Yardley building. The current site appears to be a derelict container yard.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2017, 09:45:57 PM »
High Street Stratford is possibly the oldest road in Newham. Running east to west from Stratford Broadway to Bow Bridge it was once part of the Roman road network connecting Londinium to Camulodunu, (modern day Colchester) and possibly in use as a track for centuries before.

Hi Mick i seem to remember reading that the Ancient Road ran North of the High St  near Stratford Station and carried on to Old Ford and crossed the Lea at that point.
poppy

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »
Hello Poppy,

Yes I think that is probably correct. I don't know off-hand when the first bridge at Bow was built, but I do recall reading there was a ford across the River Lea north of the current Bow Bridge, hence the name Old Ford for the area. I also recall the a raised strip of land across the marshes known as the Wanstead Slip could be reached from the ford. I have seen Wanstead Slip marked on some old maps and also mentioned as an address in census returns. Although the slip ran in the direction of the old Leyton Town Hall.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »
This group of shops were located on High Street, Stratford between Livingstone Road, (now demolished), immediately to the left of the shops, and The Greenway, (Sewer Bank) which ran parallel to the flank wall of No. 189, Simkins & Son. This is directly opposite the Yardley building. The current site appears to be a derelict container yard.                                                                                                                           
Hi Mick  another great photo i remember  Selbys  Funeral shop in the 1960s, also down Livingstone road was Kensitas ciggarette factory .
Across  the road from this photo on yardleys side, there was a massive fire we could see the smoke from stratford ,so we walked from stratford to have a look, loads of fire engines. i was only young this could have been early sixties, do you reckon there could be any info on this fire?
poppy

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
This is another picture In my collection entitled High Street, Stratford although I must confess I do not recognise the location. This imposing building belongs to the North Metropolitan Tramways Company and has a date of 1890 on the top. This company originally started using horse drawn trams and although electric cables for trams can be seen in the main road, none of cables go into the building. This suggests it may have been once used as a garage for horse-drawn trams although the building does have a office block look about it.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »
Mick, I posted a photo on the Newham History Society Site a few weeks ago. It was of High Street Stratford before demolition in 1890. Unfortunately the photo has been unable to print on this site.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
Hi Mick   i do not remember this building,   if it was on the North side of the high st a lot of these buildings were pulled down in the 1930s for the road widening scheme.
poppy

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »
I think I have now traced where this building was by researching the sign 'Trogon Aircraft Oils'. They are listed as being at Trogon Wharf, 77-73 High Street, Stratford. Old Ordnance Survey maps how this would have been directly opposite Marshgate Lane with the turning on the corner of the building probably being a long demolished River Street. The Ordnance Survey also show a tributary of the River Lea called the Three Mills Back River flowing under the High Street at this location which has now either been filled in or covered over.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2017, 01:50:01 PM »
Poppy, I have no idea what the fire was you mentioned as I think that was before I joined West Ham Fire Brigade in 1964. I would have though all records of the fire service would have been transferred to Newham Archives when LN Newham came into existence in 1965 and West Ham Fire Brigade was incorporated into the new Greater London Fire Brigade.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
Thanks Mick , I have just noticed on google maps  that on Stratford high st  near the Builders arms  the Labour partys building Says ( West Ham ) Labour Party  and Lyn Brown is  Labour MP for (West Ham) ,i may be wrong but i thought it was all as classed as  Newham Now  , i am not complaining i wish it was still called West Ham?
Any thoughts on this?
Poppy.
« Last Edit: 22 June, 2017, 02:26:30 PM by poppy show »