Author Topic: Joe Brown  (Read 10169 times)

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
Joe Brown
« on: 20 June, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
In the 1980s Joe Brown, the singer from Plaistow, was in a TV series called 'Joe Brown's East End'. I have been trying to find a copy of this on video or CD but have had no luck. If anyone has a copy please let me know.

Kathy

Robert Rogers

Re: Joe Brown
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2008, 11:35:19 AM »
Joe is celebrating this year 50 years in show business, and has released a CD of his greatest Hits. The Annoying bit is in his photos taken in `08`, he does not look much older that the ones in `58`!

Another programe he did was a special on a Lancaster Bomber where he was one of the very few memebers of public to be allowed to fly in the only remianing air-worth Lanc "City of Lincoln" in respect of his Grandfather who was a flight Engineer.

Offline Terry

• Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
Hi kathy, are you sure of that being the correct title?
 I did locate a programmme from 1992 he featured in called: "Sounds of underground london", couldnt see anything nearer to that , i did look through IMDB website.
Kind regards
Terry :)
Hello, my name is Terry, and i am custom house born and bred.
 Still living in Prince Regent Lane
 Age 48

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2008, 11:27:53 PM »
Hi Terry

Yes, the title 'Joe Brown's East End' is right. I remember watching it when it first came on tele and then it was repeated a few years later. A lot of the the first episode was filmed in Newham, one shot on the corner of the road where I live. Details of the programme are listed on:

British Film Institute – TV & Film Database

Thames Television - 1988

Episode 1
Series in which Joe Brown visits haunts of his youth in the East End of London. The pub in Grange Road, Plaistow; the Beckton Dumps; the local eel, mash and pie shop; and the Hackney Empire where talks with Roy Hudd about local music hall.

Episode 2
Joe Brown visits Docklands: the light railway; the construction work; local people and the future .

Episode 3
Joe Brown goes on night patrol with the River Patrol; visits a farm, on the Isle of Dogs; stands on Execution Dock; and discusses the polluted Thames with a conservationist

I have been trying for years to get hold of a copy as I really would like to see it again.

Kathy

Offline lewisjoiner

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »
Hi All, Before Joe Brown was famous, he had a skiffle group and was playing at Fairbain House Boys Club  which I was a member. They were having an open night that was the only time women were allowed in. So I took my mum, he was strumming away whith the bass player using an up turned tea chest with a broom handle and a bit of string. The lounge was packed, but no one was taking any notice. He didn't have a mike, but shoutd at the top of his voice " for christ sake somebody clap " I have always laughed when I think of what he has become since. - Lewis

Offline alfstill

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
JOE BROWN
« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:19:42 PM »
  Quotes from JOE BROWN who by the way is 67 years old in Septembers SAGA magazine.
 NEVER BE DECEIVED BY SOMEONES IMAGE. I am not a kockney, i was born on a farm in Lincoinshire.But when i was a baby we went to live at my uncles pub,the Sultan in Plaistow  So i was evacuated to the East End~in the opposite direction to all the other kids.
  JELLIED EELS IS A GREAT DISH.I use to push a barrow of them from Plaistow to Blackheath for 10 bob a day.Now i go to a restaurant in London and end up paying £50.
   LONDON AINT WHAT IT USE TO BE.If i never had to go to London again I would be very happy.My doctor,my ac ountant,and my haircut,thats all i go there for,i am a country boy at heart.
   IGNORE THE NANNY STATE. When i go in someones house i like to see ashtrays there.Life wouldnt be the same without a roll~up
               JOE BROWN and special guests will be playing Londons Royal Albert Hall on September 24

Offline Sheila

• View Profile
Re: JOE BROWN
« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2008, 03:06:49 AM »
Alf, I knew Joe as a friend in the late fifties and he was as Cockney as they came
and still is, don't think the fame & fortune went to his head too much, quote.. ashtrays in peoples houses & roll ups.. don't hear that said much these days.
Sheila.

Offline alfstill

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Re: JOE BROWN
« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2008, 10:40:11 PM »
 Hello Sheila
 I hope you didnt take my posting about JOE BROWN the wrong way,i also think that JOE is a cockney thru. and thru,i think what he was saying that because he wasnt born within the sound of BOW  bells,he dont class himself  a true cockney, which is wrong realy because most of the people of West Ham was not born within the sound ofBOW bells,yet they still have the same feelings about the East End as some one who could hear the bells.
  As for not wanting to visit London,well you can understand that,he proberly misses the London of the fifties,when you could go up town without any worries ,go into a coffee bar and see the likes of the Dave Clark Five,Sandy Shaw,Billy Fury,Cliff Richard and all the old rockers doing their act for fun and free coffee for the rest of the night,wonderful days and nights.
   Regards the jellied eels,i know he likes them,because i use to see him at the jellied eel stall outside the Greengate pub having his bowl of eels and a slice of dry bread,more wonderful days and nights.
                             All the best.ALF.

Offline Sheila

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
Certainly not Alf, as I have mentioned before on the old board that I worked at Evans radio on the Barking Rd. for five years, and was there that I met Joe, he would come into the shop every day to practice his guitar, his cheeky smile and great humour made my day's at work more enjoyable, we were just a couple of old pals back then but one of my fondest memories.
Sheila

Offline lewisjoiner

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2008, 04:39:05 PM »
Hi All, Joe Brown is at the Cliffs Pavillion Southend on 3rd November doing his 50th Anniversary Tour, his daughter Sam and his son Pete are also in the line up. Regards, Lewis 

MBrennan

« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2012, 12:17:14 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but around 89/90, I was waiting at Heathrow airport for a friend and recognised him. He was waiting for his daughter Sam who had a few records out around that time. She had been in Holland making an album and he was meeting her at the airport. He got talking to some women who were also there - they were probably in their 50s/60s - there were 3 of them and someone said they were famous as backing singers in the 60s. The name escapes me but maybe someone can remind me. He did come across as very ordinary. A couple of people came over to say hello and he was very friendly to them.

ETA - I remembered the women were called 'The Ladybirds'
« Last Edit: 06 February, 2012, 01:04:52 AM by MBrennan »

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
The 'Ladybirds' were a spin off from The 'Vernons Girls', who were a singing/dancing troupe, who became famous on the pop show 'Oh Boy'. Joe often appeared on this TV show, the producer, Jack Good, thought highly of him.

Alan

Offline Teza

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »
I remember Joe Brown from my childhood.  When they made the film What a Crazy World, they filmed some of it outside our flats in Stratford, opposite the Theatre Royal.  You can Imagine my surprise when I woke up and found Joe, Marty Wilde and Susan Maughan sitting in the front room having a cuppa, Susan sitting with one of mothers cardigans on warming up around the roaring coal fire!  The next morning I thought it was just a dream but it was true!  T

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 April, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
I remember Joe Brown from my childhood.  When they made the film What a Crazy World, they filmed some of it outside our flats in Stratford, opposite the Theatre Royal.

Hi Teza, was there a Sweet Shop opposite your Flats in Gt Eastern St?

Poppy Show

Offline CundyRoad

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 July, 2015, 01:00:19 AM »
The Sultan pub in Grange road has gone, it's got flats in its place now.