Author Topic: goodbye to the Boleyn  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
goodbye to the Boleyn
« on: 07 May, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2016/may/05/boleyn-ground-upton-park-west-ham-united-video 

The above is better then the junk mail that is been on here lately.
                                                   Alf

Offline Abbey

• View Profile
Re: goodbye to the Boleyn
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
I was locked out and reconnected  yesterday just so I could post this but not being very good with links, was unable to.
So thanks Alf - something that will mean something to us all.
A.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2016, 08:43:34 PM »
Hi ya , Alf,
liked to Boleyn video , was there on Monday for the Legends game , not full but the crack was still there also attended the Watford game ,same again.The legends game Boleyn Chock'er standon pavement, same as the video , can't imagine that at Stratford , very sad , but Football is a massive business and money talks , liked the bit where that trader collard David Gold and  he tried to tell him how he started in Green St ,through the windows of his Bentley .

All the best Ed

Offline dakrsize3

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2016, 09:52:32 AM »
The nature of what was said was really nice and very helpful.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »
Alf,
      absolutely agree with our friend ,  me thinks he's related to Stanley Unwin

All the best Ed

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2016, 07:51:17 PM »
dakrsize3 translation=P-ick is back again!!!!
regards H .I.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2016, 09:34:09 AM »
As I drift into old age, I remember with great fondness my visits to Upton Park, starting when I was a small boy. The great days of Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst etc., are burned into my memory. But I remember the promotion year in the old division 2, and that gives me my happiest memories. The days of Ernie Gregory, John Bond and John Dick. The great excitement that built up as the season progressed and it was becoming clear that the Hammers were in line to be promoted. They won the last match of the season 3 - 1, but they had already won the long awaited promotion. Happy days indeed. Farewell Upton Park, you were like a second home to us young boys. And in these days of huge footballers salaries, I can remember the days when we would have paid YOU, the football club, to be allowed to play for the Hammers.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
I was taken by my father to my first match at The Boleyn in Sept 1954. We had seats in E Block of the grandstand and saw a Division 2 match against Port Vale which West Ham won 2-0. A few more visits followed with my father during that season and the early part of the following season before I was allowed to go on my own during 1956/7.  For a number of seasons I saw every 1st team home game as well as most reserve and youth games that were played at the ground. I continued to watch 1st team home games until the late 1960s when for some reason I lost the "bug"and became a "lapsed" supporter. Not too sure how or why but I was playing for a local team that also played on Saturday afternoons and then I started playing for one of my office football teams who played at Acton. I last saw a game at The Boleyn in the play off semi-final against Cardiff 3 or 4 years ago.
Best memories; Beating Leeds 7-0 in the League Cup and the 1st game back in 1st Division when Wolves were beaten 2-0.
Worst Memories; Losing 8-2 to Blackburn Rovers on Boxing Day 1963 and a few boring goalless draws on the way.
Funniest Incidents: The two girls who ran on to the pitch in a game against Wolves to kiss Harry Redknapp and then the girls being hidden by the crowd in the South Bank whilst the pursuing policeman was pulled head first over the wall and also the female pitch invader in a game against Stoke City? who was upset by a decision made by the referee, Roger Kirkpatrick aka Mr Pickwick and walloped him around the head with her handbag.

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »

Hi DoughT and ALANF                   http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/ken-dyer-west-ham-leave-the-boleyn-ground-but-the-memories-will-last-a-lifetime-a3244321.html#gallery

Click unto the above for more memories

Regards        Alf

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »
Nice one Alf ,
    enjoyed it , as I said earlier was like that on holiday monday for Legends game , but Oh last nights performance by so called ( supporters ) not good , but a great game , was tempted to go down , alas no ticket , but having been twice in recent weeks and past memories will have to make do .
Watched it in my local ,but being a tuesday Sky tv was relagated into the smaller bar to accomodate  Quiz Night , they had to turn up the mike though with our 3 goals.
All the best Ed