Author Topic: cafes, etc.  (Read 730 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
cafes, etc.
« on: 06 May, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
It seems that every other shop in east London appears to be some sort of fast foodie outlets. If memory serves there was only a Chinese Restaurant next to the main post office, and on the opposite side, Cooks pie and mash shop, with Joe Lyons just past Angel Lane. That was in the actual High Street, plus a cafĂ©, and Hitch's pie and mash shop plus a fried fish and chip shop in Angel Lane. Can anyone remember anymore. I would think it's different now.   

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: cafes, etc.
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2016, 12:38:24 PM »
Hi John..
 Haven't been back since 1964.
But I  remember in the early fifties ,,you had to go to Chinatown in limehouse  if you wanted a a chow mein.
 Their was lediards  pie mash shop in westham lane .
Regards Ron.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2016, 09:22:21 PM »
Think the subject of Cafe's has been on before, but before they all go down the Swanny , here's the Cafe's I used to go to around the Royals from 59 - 72 .Georges Dinning Rooms in Albert Rd , Morgans at the Connaught ,Roses at the Ferndale , the Manorway cafe by the swing bridge and Dollar Bay we called Dirty Bens ,the one opposite Freemasons Rd next to the Railway  sruggling to remember the others , but used to knock around Limehouse early 60s and had my Stag Night start from there , in response to chinese resaurants  . Was along the Vic Dock Rd last week ,   Where's it all gone , very sad

All the best Ed

Offline burnsy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
While at East Ham Grammar School, we would sometimes walk down to Peter's Cafe, next to the Co-op on the Barking Road, for lunch.
Shepherd's pie was a favourite.