Author Topic: Car Insurance.  (Read 495 times)

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Car Insurance.
« on: 30 April, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »
I got the shock of my life this month,, My car insurance has shot up to £438 this year. from £278 last year..
They don't tell me why,, they give no reason.. never claimed ..never had an accident.
my broker thinks it is my age,, turned 84 in January.
God knows what it will be next year.
Regards Ron

Offline VicB

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Re: Car Insurance.
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2016, 09:22:04 AM »
Try AGE UK on 0800 012 1886 (a free call!), Ron.

I did last month, and  for the same cover I saved myself 250 quid for my trouble.  Don't bother about your age; it's of no consequence (I'm 91!).  I'd previously insured via the AA who allegedly seek out the best deal each year.  I don't think that I still believe them!

Best of luck.

Vic Brailey
Vic Brailey

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
Thanks for the info vic.. Its to late now,, as I have already insured.. but I will certainly give them a ring next year.
Regards Ron.

Offline burnsy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »
Dont automatically renew with the same company each year. They will bump up the premium assuming you wont check. My renewal with Direct Line was going to auto renew for £350 quid, I did an online quote on their system and it came in under £200. I phoned and queried this and was told it was a special deal for new customers!!!!!! I suggested it was penalising regular customers. Told 'em to stick it and I went elsewhere. Now I trawl the insurance companys every year for the best deal. Dont trust them to give you a fair deal.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2016, 02:21:08 PM »
HI Burnsy .
I was with rias for a couple of years. until they quoted me £448. as you say I told them to stuff it.
I eventually got a quote from. the broker who does my house insurance..&  the QUOTE  was  £438. so not much difference.
Regards Ron

Offline peterjay

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »
What on earth has these 5 posts got to do with Newham, it's going towards general chit chat now just like the days when that bloke called Ray and his lot thought they ran the site.
Family Historian Researching:- Matthews, Clover, Bradley, Dredger, Tydeman, West Ham and around.

Offline burnsy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2016, 05:08:51 PM »
Apologies if I've broken some unwritten rule by being friendly and sociable and passing on what I thought was a bit of helpful information to another forum member. If this is not allowed it wont happen again.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2016, 08:26:39 PM »
Apologies to Peter Jay but surely we should be able to give each other advice and help each other out at these times. At least the post isn't a load of rubbish about losing weight! So far as increased Car Insurance premiums go if you discover that yours has increased it is always worth asking the company if you are on the best policy. My renewal last point originally came in at £440 however there was a note on the Renewal Notice warning that it may not be the best offer and to contact the company to check. I got the premium reduced to £298 and also Breakdown Cover added on.
Dougt

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #8 on: 02 May, 2016, 12:38:23 AM »
Just for information, "That bloke Ray" who was quite a dedicated campaigner towards re-establishing a museum/historical archive for Newham sadly passed away a few weeks ago.

Offline DJ

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2016, 09:12:33 AM »
History, Car insurance ????

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »
You don't have to like everything that is posted on this site .
To the newies  on this forum I have contributed for quite a few years now and find that most subjects have been copiously covered in that time .
I personally read the postings wether I agree with them or not if I don't like any it does not worry in the least.
PS I can remember paying seventeen pounds for comprehensive insurance History???
regards Harry.I.
« Last Edit: 03 May, 2016, 02:43:43 PM by harry »

Offline DJ

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:23:42 AM »
Harry just because my profile shows only a few post it does not mean I am a Newie  as you call it.  In fact I have been using this site and the old one for many years. I had to change my name one day due to technical problems on the site hence I am now a Newie. I don't think Newies have any less right to question the contents of the site than any one else. I still think it strange to be talking about car insurance on a history site. What next the price of fish last week in Tesco, is that not History ???
« Last Edit: 03 May, 2016, 07:26:17 AM by DJ »

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:40:44 AM »
I am a member on other chat sites where it appears that members have the job as volunteer moderators. Technically, I don't know how it works, but it appears to work. Perhaps, someone with 'puter knowledge, could shed a light on how this might work. I think that, possibly, Ray Savory, acted as a volunteer Mod. But, I can't be sure of that of course but he did appear to be very dedicated to the forum and all things Newham. 

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 May, 2016, 11:09:24 AM »
John, I guess it works the same way as if you are a Group Administrator on a Facebook Group. I started a Facebook Group for former employees of company that I worked for and am able to delete any posts that do not relate to the company although I do allow members to assist each other with problems. I am also able to block members if they post dubious messages and refuse applications to join the group if the person has no connection with the company. (Can be quite difficult particularly as the females are likely to have changed their name). I'm sure a similar arrangement could be made for this site but not too sure how the more technical issues such as the problem in uploading photos can be resolved.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #14 on: 03 May, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »
Doug, I too am a admin of a large Facebook group with the same privileges you have already outlined. Fortunately that group is for retired London firefighters only where applicants to join are already known to other members of the group. There are usually a number of applicants a day to join but most of these one can tell from the picture profiles of often scantily clad females in provocative poses or someone who belongs to numerous other groups trying to sell things. These applications are blocked before so they never become members and on Facebook, blocking someone also stops them ever finding the group again even if they search for it.

The main difference between Facebook and this group is you have to give a few details before you can join Facebook. Here it is a case of fictitious email addresses where another one can be set up immediately one is deleted.