Author Topic: Fake Members  (Read 475 times)

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
Fake Members
« on: 30 April, 2016, 08:10:45 PM »
This site seems to be under bombardment from nutters, adverts and assorted other low life. Believe me it could get a much much worse.

I was once a member of another forum which dealt with the matter very well. They introduced trial membership. For a short period a new member could not write direct to the forum but their message would be reviewed prior to posting. Trial members had to submit a minimum of two messages which showed genuine interest in the site, with no complaints from other members. It usually took about a week, longer if the second post took a while to be sent.

It certainly cut out the weirdos and left only genuine items on the forum.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Fake Members
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »
Yes I agree bob.. its getting worse.
Regards Ron. :(

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »
I have reported all the "Weight Loss" posts to the administrators requesting that they are removed and the "poster" banned from the site, Still waiting though!

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
  • Orignally from Hornchurch. Have East End ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2017, 08:15:44 AM »
I don't understand why it's so difficult? Any advertising should not be allowed unless it's publicising a local (Newham) event. Weight loss and Jerseys are obviously nothing to do with history!
I am genuinely interested but don't have a lot to offer to the forums as not brought up in Newham but for family research purposes and just for general interest in the history of the area, this forum is valuable to me.
BTW anyone wanna buy a watch? ;)

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
When I spoke to Jenni at Newham Archives she said they have started to delete the recent spam posts. Hopefully this will stop these people when they realise they are being deleted.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »
The 2 new "members" who appear to have infiltrated the site both come from Ireland and have the same signature "Cheap China Jerseys. Could well be the same person.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
These spammers who are simply after free advertising will repeatedly attempt to advertise on any website where the public are allowed input. As quick as one advert is deleted another will appear and it is very difficult for a Admin of a site to constantly monitor all these adverts. I know from my own website there are many attempts every day to get free advertising but fortunately very effective anti-spamming software blocks the lot and not one gets through. I do not know if similar software can be used on the system this site runs on but if it can, it would be a solution to the problems. Such software has to be sophisticated in its discrimination detection otherwise quite innocent messages can be unintentionally blocked. For instance the word 'Essex' might be detected on more cruder anti-spam software as containing sexual advertising.

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »
I can change my name if it helps Mick . . . I don't want the forum getting a bad reputation!

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2017, 07:34:54 PM »
No don't change your name. All I was doing was illustrating the difference between good anti-spam software and those that are a bit basic. At the moment this site has none as far as I am aware.

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 July, 2017, 07:45:22 PM »
Good cos I could only come up with was Hornchurch Hussy and that wouldn't have helped would it?! :-* ;D

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 July, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
ESSEX GIRL and Mick , I

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 July, 2017, 10:15:20 PM »
Essexgirl ,and Mick , don't know what went wrong then, having lived in Essex years ago must have got a bit excited by the title heading , what I was going to say was years ago on the old Forum the Moderator was a bit quick off the mark sometimes and my innocent post regarding speeding up the east ham by pass on my racing bike , read bombing up the by pass which was deleted  P.D.Q. the term bombing in the 60,s meant going fast ,

Welcome back young lady from Essex , froman old guy who lived in that County many years , Barking, Ilford and Hornchurch

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 July, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
Thank you for that kind welcome Ed and the compliment! Not really a girl these days at 51 but maybe that is young to some people.
I was born in Hornchurch but grew up in Goodmayes. My Mum is a West Ham "gel" and her Mum grew up in Canning Town. 3 of my Gt Grandfathers were Dock workers.
I am fascinated with my East End roots so really pleased to be back; so many lovely stories/memories and info on here :D

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 July, 2017, 08:07:42 AM »
By the way Ed, on my Dads side, my Gt Grandmother was Elizabeth STYLES from Islington. I wonder if we are related?

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 July, 2017, 08:39:56 PM »
Essex Girl,
 I.ll check that info with the present Mrs Styles , she is the ancestry finder outa on my family , my parents were both born in custom house and g,parents poplar and bermondsey , so your Elizabeth Styles not sure .  over the years on here there have been succsesfull family findings so who knows

All the best Ed